Los Angeles Sex Guide (LA Sex Guide) advises where to find sex, working girls, prostitution, street hookers, brothels, red-light districts, sex shops, prostitutes, erotic massage parlors, strip clubs and escorts in Los Angeles, California.
Los Angeles (also known simply as L.A., and nicknamed the "City of Angels") is the most populous city in California. Located on a broad basin in Southern California, the city is surrounded by vast mountain ranges, valleys, forests, the Pacific Ocean, and nearby desert.
- 1 Sex and Prostitution in Los Angeles
- 2 Los Angeles Female Escorts
- 3 LA Districts
- 4 Red Light Districts
- 5 Prostitutes and Sex Workers
- 6 Street Hookers
- 7 Hookup with Local Girls
- 8 Live Sex Cams
- 9 Where to Get Sex Now
- 10 Adult Locations
- 11 Escort Services and Agencies
- 12 Erotic Massage Parlors
- 13 Brothels and Sex Clubs
- 14 Strip Clubs and Striptease
- 15 Karaoke and KTVs
- 16 Swinger Clubs and BDSM
- 17 Sex Shops and Adult Stores
- 18 Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
- 19 Nightclubs and Bars
- 20 Gay and Lesbian
- 21 Other Adult Services
- 22 Dating
- 23 How to find Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies
- 24 Transsexuals and Shemales
- 25 Sexual Services for Women
- 26 Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
- 27 Stay Safe
- 28 See Also
Sex and Prostitution in Los Angeles
California prostitution law under Penal Code 647(b) PC prohibits engaging in the act of prostitution, and offering (this is also known as "solicitation") or agreeing to engage in the act of prostitution.
LAPD and prosecutors are trying to crack down on prostitution. But now days they have a new mindset. They are targeting johns and pimps more often and with harsher penalties, but aiming to treat the women as victims of sex trafficking who need counseling and a way off the streets more than a night in jail. Keep your eyes open if you are dealing with the prostitutes.
Escorts in Los Angeles are in high demand, especially from businessmen and tourists who are only going to be in Los Angeles for a while. Most tourists in Los Angeles like to go clubbing and often also have sex with prostitutes. Escorts in Los Angeles can be found working on the street, strip clubs, through websites, escort agencies or newspapers.
Los Angeles Female Escorts
There are thousands of female escorts in Los Angeles. Some of them are normal priced but you can also find Los Angeles high-class independent escorts who ask thousands of dollars per night. Escort business in LA is so deeply rooted in the city that it has become part of Los Angeles culture. There are also many escort agencies all over Los Angeles offering specials such as well known porn stars or B-list celebs. In general independent escorts in LA charge US$150-250 per hour and escort agencies charge a little more.
For travel purposes, this guide covers the entirety of Los Angeles County, a region of thousands of square miles in Southern California roughly the same size as Rhode Island. There are 88 cities (municipalities) in the county; the largest, the city of Los Angeles, spreads throughout the county.
Central Los Angeles
|Downtown LA |
The central business district of Los Angeles and home to the Grand Avenue cultural corridor. The advent of the automobile and freeways led to the neighborhood's slow decline, but it has seen a booming revival in recent years, led by new residential buildings, trendy hotels, bars, shops and restaurants.
Just east of downtown and the Hispanic center of Los Angeles.
The place where the life of movies from the past to the present come out and also where movies are made and shown to the public. It has received quite a makeover in recent years, sparked by the construction of Hollywood & Highland and the return of the Academy Awards. If you want to see famous actors and singers, then this is the place for you.
|Northwest LA |
A funkier area north of downtown and east of Hollywood that is rapidly gentrifying. Home to Griffith Park above Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, MacArthur Park, and Echo Park, along with Dodgers Stadium.
|South Central LA |
South Central has long had a reputation for gang violence and is the infamous site of the Rodney King riots, though it's mellowed significantly in the years since. While it remains off most people's radar, there are things to see, such as the museums of Exposition Park, and Watt's Towers, and the Space Shuttle Endeavor, which now lives at the CA Science Center.
Home of the historic architecture of the Miracle Mile District, the Farmer's Market and The Grove shopping areas, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, CBS Television City, and the famous La Brea Tar Pits.
Los Angeles County regions
|Antelope Valley |
The northern region of the county; high desert and more rural in feel.
|Gateway Cities |
The southern region of the county, bordering Orange County. The largest city here is Long Beach, where you will find the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.
|San Fernando Valley |
"The Valley" is the sprawling northern section of the city of Los Angeles, as well as the independent city of Burbank. The Valley is home to Universal Studios, NBC Studios, CBS Studio Center, Walt Disney & Warner Brothers Studios.
|San Gabriel Valley |
Encompassing the valley communities east of downtown Los Angeles. Sitting at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains is Pasadena, site of the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.
|Santa Clarita Valley |
A region far to the north of Los Angeles proper.
|South Bay |
The beachfront communities of the county south of LAX and the launching point for trips to Catalina Island.
|West Side |
The affluent area of Los Angeles where the elite of the entertainment industry reside. Home to many upscale communities such as Bel-Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, West Hollywood, the high-end shopping of Beverly Hills, and the popular beach town of Santa Monica.
Red Light Districts
Today the most of the prostitution business in LA happens online as sex workers have moved working indoors from the streets. However there are still some old-school prostitutes and some people say that un-official Red-light district in Los Angeles is located Fig from king to imperial and western from Adams to Florence and sunset from western to normandie and western from Santa Monica to 3rd sepulveda from Burbank o Roscoe.
Prostitutes and Sex Workers
Like in any other big city, there are street prostitutes and high-end escorts in Los Angeles. Some escorts who work in areas such as Hollywood and nearby areas, will quote very high prices for sex, but in the other areas prices are often much cheaper.
Hotels in LA with lots of prostitution traffic
- East West Hotel
- Hotel Hollywood
- Rotex Hotel
- Burbank Airport Ramada
- Voyager Motor Inn
- Travel Lodge Lax
Upscale Hotel Bars in LA With lots of prostitutes
- Hollywood Roosevelt
- Four Seasons West Hollywood
- The Peninsula Beverly Hills
- The Standard Downtown LA
How to spot a prostitute in the wild?
- Big hair. Poofed, teased, coiffed and groomed for maximum plumage attraction.
- Too hot to be alone. If she's drop-dead gorgeous and is still flying solo at 3am, you may have spotted a lady of the evening.
- Reavealing & shiny/sparkly clothing(of both cleavage and leg variety). Nothing wrong with showing off the wares a little.
- High heels. Many ladies of negotiable affection bump up their height a few inches with eye-catching platforms or sky-high heels in arresting colors.
Female prostitutes are roaming the Los Angeles streets. A handful of main drags in the city are plagued by prostitutes walking the streets at all hours, and men cruising for them with little regard for the legality or impact on the community. Remember that many times the Los Angeles street prostitutes are drug users.
- You can find streetwalkers from Kaiser Hollywood on Sunset Bl near Vermont Ave, in the evenings across the street from the hospital (south side).
- Other street prostitution areas are Santa Monica Bl in Hollywood and WeHo if you're looking for gay prostitutes, Sunset Bl for a wide variety. It depends on if the cops have been doing their job lately or not.
- Streetwalkers in L.A mostly hang around in dangerous neighborhoods filled with cops and pimps, they're having sex in the back seats of their car or going to the world's worst motel. Some of clients get robbed and/or arrested. All for 10-15 minutes of quick sex, so you should really consider if you want to take a risk.
- In the parking lot of the Denny's on Sunset at the 101. About 2-3 in the morning. There might be shemales (transsexual prostitutes) as well.
- Sometimes you can spot street walkers in Los Angeles outside of different strip clubs.
Price for getting CBJ is $40, sometimes you can get a BBBJ for same price. Full service cost $60 to $80.
See also: How To Pick Up Hookers in North America
Hookup with Local Girls
Meeting local girls and getting laid for free is fun! Read more on how to pick up girls in Los Angeles: https://hookuptravels.com/wiki/Los_Angeles
Live Sex Cams
Can I watch Live Sex Cams in Los Angeles? - Yes, you can! Basically you can watch our online live sex shows for free anywhere in the world if you’re connected to internet. Join to get 10 free private teasers and 9.99 credits for free! You can choose any girl from our trusted Live Sex Cams!
Live Sex Cams are booming at the moment. Webcam models can be found from all over the world and you can find girls, guys, trannies, couples and groups of different ages performing to you. Watching live sex shows is usually free, but if you buy some credits, you will have much better chances to see adult action as desired! It's possible also to hire a webcam model to a private chat room where you can ask the person to fulfill your fantasies.
Where to Get Sex Now
It is easy to get sex online in Los Angeles. You just need to find the best available girls. See Girls Online Here!
There are many interesting places for adult entertainment in Los Angeles.
Escort Services and Agencies
Escorts in Los Angeles who provide sexual services for money are considered as prostitutes. Prostitution is illegal in the United States, except some rural counties of Nevada.
Finding an escort when you're travelling can be a bit tricky. If you are looking for escorts in Los Angeles, Escort Directory is the ideal solution. There are thousands of beautiful young women at EscortDirectory.com waiting for your call!
Erotic Massage Parlors
Massage parlors in Los Angeles are illegal if they are offering sexual services or happy ending, such as hand job, blow job or full service.
Brothels and Sex Clubs
Brothels in Los Angeles are illegal. Many massage parlors, saunas, spas, and similar otherwise-legal establishments which serve as fronts for prostitution, are also considered as brothels. With the exception of some rural counties of Nevada, brothels are illegal in the United States.
Strip Clubs and Striptease
One of the greatest things about the Hollywood-stardom allure of Los Angeles is that, out of the millions of beautiful people that flock to the LA each year, plenty of them opt to join in on one of the oldest aspects of the entertainment industry: erotic dancing.
Los Angeles is home to more Strip clubs than can be counted, featuring everything from fetish performances to cabaret shows to male revues. Whether you're looking for the ultimate bachelor party or just a sinfully delicious way to spend your night, there's a place that's happy to satisfy your cravings. Famous spots like the Spearmint Rhino and Sam's Hofbrau have seen the likes of celebrities and politicians, while revered smaller local haunts like Jumbo's Clown Room and the Wild Goose see a lot of regulars. LaBare Hollywood is the spot for women seeking the ultimate girls night out, and places like Plan A and Bare Elegance are classy and sexy enough that everyone from couples to singles can be seen lounging on velvet couches and enjoying the salacious views.
See Also: How to Behave in Strip Clubs
Karaoke and KTVs
There are some KTVs (karaoke places) in Chinatown and Koreatown in Los Angeles, but they are not that kind of venues with the erotic atmosphere.
Swinger Clubs and BDSM
ALT.com is the best place for local singles, swingers, and couples in the BDSM community to connect with those interested in submissive sex, power exchange, locating persons for new slave roles, erotic BDSM, bondage & fetish sex, as well as live sex dates. Find thousands of play partners for whatever your fetish may be; bondage, foot, cockold, spankings, role-play, electric or water play, sadism and masochism. So whether you have the desire to explore your unrealized fetish fantasies, or you are extremely experienced and would love to train someone new, ALT.com is a community designed for people with like-minded interests to find and connect with each other.
There are few good Swinger clubs in Los AngeleS. If you have a girlfriend or a wife, you can just hook up with other open minded couples. However some of the Swingers Clubs also accept good looking single men.
- Sometimes up to 120 couples! Thursdays 8pm to 2am - Couples, Single Females & Single Men, Fridays 8pm to 4am - Couples , Single Females Only, Saturdays 8pm to 6am - Couples , Single Females Only and Sundays 3pm to 10pm with After Hours ORGY until Midnight - Couples, Single Ladies & Single Men
- Club Joi, Tel. 323-944-7527
- This is a private Members only, On-Premise Lifestyle Club in Los Angeles. Membership is restricted to sexy open-minded liberal single girls and couples 21 and over. http://www.clubjoi.com/sessions/new
- Club Xtc, Located Near the 215/15 Interchange
- Couples & Singles who want to get naked are invited to come out and have fun. This is a cabaret style club room with a dance floor and stage with stripper pole.
- Evolution kink, Tel. (818) 514-KINK.
- Playmates Party, http://www.playmatesparties.com/
- The Room, 1626 North Cahuenga Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- This luxury Hollywood themed lounge draws crowds with a small dance floor pulsing with hip-hop & cozy, intimate booths. Open: WED-SUN: 9PM-2AM. Room 86, inclusive of the patio, can hold 250 people.It is a great place for open minded people to meet.
One of the most extreme facets in LA sex scene is the BDSM experience. BDSM has always been very popular in Europe, but now the BDSM scene is getting more and more common in USA. BDSM clubs are a good option for someone interested on such a scene, but there are also many dominatrix escorts in LA who are very well experienced and can do some very kinky and rough things to you. Cost of the dominatrix services in Los Angeles cost about $200 an hour.
- The Bullet Bar. 10522 Burbank Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91601
- The Bullet Bar is open 7 days a week, Noon to 2:00 AM.http://www.bulletbarla.com/
- The Domino
- Established in 1980, The Dominion continues to enhance it’s worldwide reputation by constantly updating it’s beautiful scene rooms with state of the art equipment and by providing a safe, clean, scene-friendly and caring environment for you to explore all of your most cherished and innermost fantasies. http://dominionsm.com/
- So CA Bondage Club, 11300 Hartland St., North Hollywood, CA 91510
- Monthly play parties every 2nd Friday of the month in North Holllywood, CA. This is NOT a sex club. We encourage safe and sane consentual scenes. Sign up on our web site to attend our parties: www.SoCABondage.com.
- The Threshold, 11300 Hartland Street, North Hollywood, CA 91605 (+1 818-782-1160)
- The Threshold Society (Threshold) is a Los Angeles BDSM / Leather Club located in North Hollywood. We are a non-profit (501.c) social organization concerned with exploring and enjoying the world of bondage, discipline, sado-masochism and related activities. We are active in our local community, and Threshold is considered the first place for those who are interested in the BDSM lifestyle to explore. http://www.threshold.org/
Sex Shops and Adult Stores
If you don’t feel like visiting or cannot find any local sex shops in Los Angeles, you can easily order adult products from Online Sex Shop.
There is plenty of Adult Shops in LA. Some only sell sex toys, condoms and movies, but most will also have arcades and cinemas where you can watch porn. Many bi-curious and gay people like to search sex company from these places.
This is a guide on where to find adult cinemas, sex cinemas, adult arcades and porn cinemas in Los Angeles.
LA Adult Arcades, Peep Shows and Cinemas
- 665, Santa Monica Boulevard 8722, Los Angeles
- The Pleasure Chest , Santa Monica Boulevard 7733, Los Angeles
- A Different Light, Santa Monica Boulevard 8853, Los Angeles
- X-Spot Bookstore, Santa Monica Blvd. and Highland, Los Angeles
- There are about 15 locking, floor to ceiling video booths. Crowd: Young guys, hot guys, straight guys, gay guys.
- Alameda Books- X-Spot, 1901 S Alameda St Ste 101, Los Angeles, CA 90058, Los Angeles
- Adult book/movie store with a wide open video area. They have full size locking doors and the staff hardly ever even looks around. Crowd: A lot of factory worker types. All races, but mainly hispanic.
- Highland Books Inc. - Santa Monica Boulevard 6775, Los Angeles
- Firestone Books, 2286 Firestone Blvd, Los Angeles
- Smaller booths, but very dark and private.the booths in the middle of the isle of this place are separated by some special electric frosted window, which is made clear when both parties in each booth.
- ChiChi La Rue's, Santa Monica Boulevard 8932, Los Angeles (one block west of San Vicente Boulevard)
- Video Entertainement Cente, 10301 Hawthorne Blvd., Los Angeles
- Booths with doors.
- Circus of Books - Sunset Boulevard 4001, Los Angeles
- Book Soup , Sunset Boulevard 8818, Los Angeles
- Unicorn Bookstore, Santa Monica Boulevard 8940, Los Angeles
- The Pleasure Chest, Santa Monica Boulevard 7733, Los Angeles
Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
Love hotels are popular in some parts of Asia, especially in Japan. There are also many love motels and short-time hotels in South America. Unfortunately you cannot find any real Japanese style love hotels in Los Angeles. If there are short-time hotels near by, usually the working girls know all of these places.
Nightclubs and Bars
There are many nice nightclubs and bars in Los Angeles where you can try your luck to find sex for free. Hollywood area has many high life clubs where celebrities like to visit.
Gay and Lesbian
Gay modeling in internet is getting more popular all the time and it's a big market alongside with gay porn. You can watch gay live sex also in Los Angeles as long as you are connected to internet. Check it out: Gay Live Sex Video Chat
Gay nightlife in LA might seem like it's separated into two distinct areas -- WeHo on one side and Silver Lake on the other -- but the truth is, plenty of queer and queer-loving crowds hit both, thanks to promoters offering parties on both sides of LA.
Cliches about the Westside being superficial and too twinky/queeny, or the East being all inked-up bear types, might be valid some nights, but there's so much going on today, and so much cross-pollination of preferences, that the generalities don't hold up so much anymore. There are tons of fun, gay, bi, polysexual parties that happen all over LA (Mr. Black and Tigerheat in Hollywood, A Club Called Rhonda and Mustache Mondays downtown). There is not much difference between a gay "club" and gay "bar" in Los Angeles. After all, dancing, drinking and cruising goes down at both.
Gay Saunas and Bathhouses
- Melrose Spa - Hollywood - 7269 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, LA
- Midtowne Spa - Downtown - 615 Kohler St., Los Angeles, CA
- The Zone LA - Hollywood - 1037 N Sycamore Ave , Los Angeles
- Flex - Silverlake - 4424 Melrose Ave , Los Angeles, CA
- Melrose Spa - Hollywood - 7269 Melrose Ave. , Los Angeles, LA
- Slammer - Silverlake - 3688 Beverly Blvd , Los Angeles, CA
- NoHo fun - North Hollywood - 5636 Vineland Ave , North Hollywood, CA
- Hollywood fun - Hollywood - 1650 Ivar Ave , Los Angeles, CA
Gay Bars, Pubs and Clubs
- Eagle LA, 4219 Santa Monica Blvd
- Roosterfish Bar, 1302 Abbot Kinney Blvd
- Arena Nightclub, 6655 Santa Monica Blvd
- Oil Can Harry's, 11502 Ventura Blvd.
- The Faultline Bar, 4216 Melrose Ave
- MJ's Bar, 2810 Hyperion Ave.
- Club Tempo, 5520 Santa Monica Blvd.
- Circus Disco, 6655 Santa Monica Blvd
- Silver Rail, 11518 Burbank Blvd
- The Study, 1723 N Western Ave
- The Other Side, 2538 Hyperion Ave
- Jalisco Inn Number Two, 245 S Main St
- Le Barcito, 3909 W Sunset Blvd
- The Bullet Bar, 10522 Burbank Blvd.
Lesbian Bars, Pubs and Clubs
- Oxwood Inn, 13713 Oxnard St
- Moonshadow, 10437 Burbank Blvd
- Beauty Bar Los Angeles, 1638 N. Cahuenga Blvd.
Gay Prostitution Areas
WeHo is the area where you can find gay prostitutes, Sunset Bl for a wide variety. Hooking up with a male street prostitute is very cheap, but can be risky as many of them are drug users and have STD´s. There are also many male escorts in LA, but the quality of them can vary a lot as prices do also. Cheapest male escort charge only $50, but some high-end male escorts can charge up to couple thousand dollars a night. These gigolos often have a very sexy muscular body, big penis and good sex skills. Most internationally well known rent boys like to travel to Los Angeles and work for a couple weeks to make extra money.
Gay Bookstores, Cinemas and Arcades
You can find locations of Adult Arcades and Adult theaters from the "Adult Shops" section below.
Other Adult Services
There are lots of clubs where you can have bachelor parties and stag duos. Most strip clubs offer packages for these kind of special events.
Dating in Los Angeles can be a bit tricky due to cultural differences, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before your trip so you can meet a few locals ahead of time. AdultFriendFinder.com lets you meet local members in Los Angeles and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. Since your time in Los Angeles may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand, so that when you meet you can start having some real fun.
How to find Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies
If you are looking for an alternative to escorts in Los Angeles with a girl who doesn’t charge by the hour, sugar dating is the ideal solution. There are thousands of beautiful young women at SecretBenefits willing to do anything for a man who will help them pay their bills.
Often referred to as the “Tinder for Older Guys”, SecretBenefits matches hot young women interested in pampering older gentlemen. You don’t have to be a millionaire at SecretBenefits.com, you just need to be a respectful gentleman who knows how to treat a woman.
Transsexuals and Shemales
Finding someone for transsexual dating when you’re on the road can be a bit tricky, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before you go so you can find locals ahead of time. TSdates.com is a dating site designed to help you find exactly what you are looking for in your hookup in Los Angeles. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. With over 40 million members, and thousands of transsexual members around the world, TSdates.com is the world’s largest site of sex-minded friends for discreet encounters and will help you find your next transsexual play partner.
Where can I find shemales in Los Angeles? You can watch transsexual live sex shows in Los Angeles as long as you are connected to internet. Check Now: Tranny Live Sex Video Chat
If you like tranny street hookers, then Santa Monica Blvd and North Highland Ave intersection is a spot in LA you should check out. This is where you can find tranny street prostitutes all day long. Just remember to be careful with them as many of them try to pull scams or do pickpocketing. Usually sex service prices vary from $20 to $60.
There are also plenty of LA Shemale escorts advertising online in classifieds sites. 30 minutes costs $80-150 and one hour costs $150-300. Some of the in- and out-call escorts also drop down their prices if you negotiate with them, but this is not always recommended because some of the trannies take this offensive and can get mad.
If you do not like to use transsexual escort services, you can check out the most well known transexual clubs in the Los Angeles which area are Oxwood, Club Shine and Hamburger Mary´s in Long Beach. Some of the clubs have very sexy Shemales, but most will want money from you and it is hard to get freebies. There can also be regular girls in the pack, so you should definitely read this guide before heading to these clubs: How to Spot a Ladyboy.
Here are some LA t-girl clubs listed:
- Hamburger Mary’s, 8288 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046
- Open Daily: Sunday - Thursday 11am to 1am, Friday & Saturday 11am to 2am
- http://hamburgermarys.com/weho/ Ph (323) 654-3800
- Industrial Strip Club
- The Oxwood Inn
- MJ’s (CLOSED)
- The Palms Bar (CLOSED)
Sexual Services for Women
Women can find male escorts in LA from various websites.
Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
It's hard to summarize the plethora of hotel options in L.A. From some of the most opulent (and expensive) hotels in the world to budget hostels to apartment-hotel crash pads, there's something for everyone. Deciding where to stay will have a lot to do with what areas you plan on visiting, and how you're going to get there. As usual in Southern California, a car opens up a world of options, but be sure to check the parking arrangement at your accommodations before you arrive.
The first big decision is whether to stay inside or outside of the City of Los Angeles. Hollywood is probably the most popular option for those wanting to sightsee and chase their image of that world. Downtown has long been popular with the business crowd but is rapidly receiving a makeover with hotels like The Standard  bringing a hipper crowd. Beverly Hills has some of the nicest hotels in the Southland, but expect the prices to reflect its reputation.
Sun and sand seekers can head to Santa Monica, Venice, or the Beach Cities to the south of LAX. Those just in town for a day or two might consider staying on the Westside near LAX airport. Pasadena to the northeast of LA is a peaceful and leafy city and a good alternative.
Chinese tourists often stay in the San Gabriel Valley suburbs to the east of Los Angeles, as those cities are more convenient as a base for visiting the factory outlet centres to the east (Desert Hills) and south (Orange and Carlsbad) and offer a broader range of Chinese cuisine than what is available in Chinatown in Los Angeles.
Most tourist destinations around the Southland tend to be fairly safe, such as Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Westwood, and West L.A. However, walking at night in some areas of the city (and some suburban cities as well) should be conducted with caution; and depending on the area, in groups. If traveling by car there is little threat of being harassed day or night, provided you avoid driving around neighborhoods with blatant signs of gang activity as mentioned below.
Certain areas in or near downtown, such as Skid Row (which is where the main Greyhound station is located), Pico-Union, Westlake, Boyle Heights, and South Central, can be dangerous regardless of the time of day and should be avoided altogether when walking if possible. If traveling in the San Fernando Valley region of the City of Los Angeles, the neighborhoods of Pacoima, Panorama City, Arleta, Van Nuys, Canoga Park, North Hills, North Hollywood (northern half), and Northridge (southern half) are also best avoided on foot.
Though cities such as Detroit, St. Louis, and Atlanta have higher reported crime rates per capita than Los Angeles, these numbers can be deceiving. L.A. statistics are skewed because the city has a humongous amount of geographic area so the safe neighborhoods such as Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, Westwood and many others balance the numbers from the extremely dangerous neighborhoods. If the South Central area of Los Angeles were counted as its own city, it would have the highest crime and murder rate of any city in America. Neighboring Compton, an independent city, currently ranks as the fourth most dangerous city in America. Luckily for Los Angeles, Compton's statistics are not counted as part of L.A.'s crime data but instead counted separately, yet the two cities border each other. As a general rule, you should exercise extreme caution if walking or driving on surface streets in the area roughly bounded by Interstate 10 on the north, Interstate 710 on the east, Artesia Blvd/Highway 91 on the south, and La Cienega Boulevard on the west.
Both the City of Los Angeles and the County of Los Angeles, unfortunately, have a high rate of gang violence and crime. However, gangs generally confine themselves to certain areas and should be of little concern to the typical traveler, who is unlikely to venture into such areas. Gangs will usually identify their territory with graffiti markings. While most visitors to L.A. will not visit neighborhoods where gang violence is a concern, common-sense precautions apply should you become lost and end up in a bad neighborhood: remain on high-visibility roads or freeways, avoid confrontations with groups of young men, and should a confrontation arise flee immediately. If a person who appears to be a gang member asks "where are you from," prepare to immediately flee, seek cover, or defend yourself. That phrase is a common gang challenge and frequently implies imminent attack. (In a 2008 L.A. Times Op-Ed article, LAPD Chief of Detectives Charlie Beck explained that "it is the last question many young men in Los Angeles hear.") Use common sense on freeways to avoid incidents of road rage, which accounts for tens of deaths per year.
Most homeless individuals are harmless; they will likely only ask you for money and if you refuse, will simply go on to the next person. They are most heavily concentrated near downtown, Skid Row, and Hollywood. Avoid walking along Skid Row near Downtown at any time of day or night.
In the unlikely event of a major earthquake, duck and cover and stay where you are during the shaking, then go outside once the shaking stops. Most structures built after 1950 are unlikely to collapse. Your largest threats come from breaking windows and flying objects such as ceiling tiles and bookshelves. Try to get under a table, desk, or doorjam to reduce exposure to such threats. You are more likely to be injured if you try to run during the shaking.