Sao Paulo Sex Guide (Sampa Sex Guide) advises where to find sex, working girls, garotas de programa, prostitution, street hookers, brothels, red-light districts, sex shops, prostitutes, erotic massage parlors, strip clubs and escorts in São Paulo, Brazil (South America).
São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil, with a city population of about 11 million and almost 20 million in its metropolitan region. It is the capital of the Southeastern state of São Paulo, and also a beehive of activity that offers a jovial nightlife and an intense cultural experience. Sao Paulo is one of the richest cities in the southern hemisphere, though the inequality between the classes typically observed in Brazil is blatant. Historically attractive to immigrants as well as (somewhat later) Brazilians from other states, it's one of the most diverse cities in the world.
- 1 Sex and Prostitution in São Paulo
- 2 São Paulo Female Escorts
- 3 Subdivisions
- 4 Red Light Districts
- 5 Prostitutes and Sex Workers
- 6 Freelancers
- 7 Street Hookers
- 8 Live Sex Cams
- 9 Adult Locations
- 10 Escort Services and Agencies
- 11 Erotic Massage Parlors
- 12 Brothels and Sex Clubs
- 13 Strip Clubs and Striptease
- 14 Karaoke and KTVs
- 15 Swinger Clubs and BDSM
- 16 Sex Shops and Adult Stores
- 17 Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
- 18 Nightclubs and Bars
- 19 Gay and Lesbian
- 20 Other Adult Services
- 21 Dating
- 22 How to find Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies
- 23 MILFs
- 24 Transsexuals and Shemales
- 25 Sexual Services for Women
- 26 Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
- 27 Stay Safe
- 28 See Also
Sex and Prostitution in São Paulo
Prostitution itself (exchanging sex for money) in Brazil is legal, as there are no laws forbidding adult prostitution, but it is illegal to operate a brothel or to employ prostitutes in any other way.
In Sao Paulo, 70 to 80 percent of the prostitution customers are foreign tourists.
Good to Know
São Paulo, or Sampa as it is also often called, is also probably one of the most underrated cities tourism-wise, often overshadowed by other places in the Brazilian sun & beach circuit such as Rio de Janeiro and Salvador. It is in fact a great city to explore, with its own idiosyncrasies, the exquisite way of living of its inhabitants, not to mention the world-class restaurants and diverse regional and international cuisine available to all tastes. If there is a major attraction to this city, it is the excellent quality of its restaurants and the variety of cultural activities on display.
- Before visiting Sao Paulo try to read a lot about that city. You can also find a lot of important information from this site.
- Learn at least some words.
- Visit the local forums.
- Knowledge of the vernacular. This is definitely the main hindrance in a city like Sampa. It's not like Rio de Janeiro where you can bang garotas that are accostumed to deal with gringos. In São Paulo, if you want to have a girls speaking English you have to pay the price for it.
- The worst venues you can visit in Sampa are prîvé in Centro (or Jardins). In these districts you have either trash privês or high end free lancers (in Jardins). Visiting a privê in Jardin is not always a good option. There are an array of high end garotas living in Jardins (maybe the most populated bairro where garotas receive in their flats) : you can have garotas in the 8/10 to 9.5/10 range for R$200, R$250 or R$300. Different types of women: blonde, brunette, nissei, mulata, redhair, negrita, etc. Some of them are fluent in English. Where else in the world can you have that variety? In Asia? Definitely not. In Germany in the FK clubs? Neither and you'll pay more for less time.
- Rua Augusta is maybe the dirtiest place in São Paulo.
- It's not true anymore that Sunday or weekdays are slow in São Paulo.
- There are more than 30,000 millionaires living here (that is 60% of all millionaires in Brazil) but they are also a lot of venues for people who are living on a shoestring budget.
São Paulo Female Escorts
Escorts advertising online is getting more and more popular in São Paulo. Many street walkers are changing their profession to working as an escort in Sao Paulo.
| Downtown |
| West |
Most vibrant area of the city for business, science, gastronomy, nightlife and culture.
| South Central |
| Southeast |
| Northeast |
| Far South |
| Far East |
São Paulo's City of Workers contains two of the most beautiful parks of the city, and is the future host of the FIFA 2014 World Cup in the city.
| Northwest |
Red Light Districts
The area around Rua Augusta used to be a decaying red-light district just a few years ago, but now it is the center of the city’s night life, filled with bars and clubs. As with red-light districts in many big cities (think Soho in London and Hamburg's Reeperbahn), the Baixo Augusta area of São Paulo has been appropriated by the in crowd and transformed into a playground for a different kind of pleasure seeker. Sex workers and curb crawlers have been replaced with dressed-down kids and glammed-up clubbers looking for new nocturnal diversions.
In this area, called Lower Augusta, crowds spill out of bars and nightclubs onto the sidewalk almost nightly. (A few brothels still remain on Lower Augusta, offering a reminder of its past.)
Prostitutes and Sex Workers
Brazil is hosting two major sport event on 2010s. In 2014 there was FIFA World Cup and on 2016 there will be Olympic Games held in Rio de Janeiro and surrounding areas.
- The official countdown to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil began on Wednesday, June 12. Stadiums were being revamped, public transport is being tweaked, businesses are gearing up and prostitutes are taking free English classes. Yes, you read that correctly. Sao Paulo was one of the FIFA 2014 cities.
- If you want to find club action afterhours, you should visit Love Story, Rua Araujo, 232 – Centro. (11) 3231-2505. End of the night club, this house music club is the point for prostitutes and rental boys, but the club is not restricted to this public. Many celebrities frequent the club and it became a famous point. Party starts only at 4 AM, expect lines.
2017: Cafe Photo is the place to pick up high quality freelancers. Av. Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek, 373 - São Paulo. You pay 100 usd for access, but for that money you can order drinks etc. The girls are not allowed to come to you, so you need to approach them.
Usually the most beautiful hookers are working as online escorts or in brothels or massage salons, but there is definitely a scene for street walkers as well in Sao Paulo:
- There are street walker hookers all around Augusta. Remember that some of the street sex workers are drug addicts. Always use a condom if you will have sex with a street girl! Check out Red Light District in São Paulo above.
- Parque Da Luz next to Luz Railway Station: Literally just across the road from Luz Railway station (north side). Which also doubles as the central metro station. Not only does this make getting and leaving there easy, it also means the area has a strong police presence and is pretty safe to visit, especially during the day. Bus stops also service this area and drop off/pick up right outside the station. There are mostly females in the park by day - some of them are hot but most are old and past it. There are also some shemale prostitutes working in this area.
Live Sex Cams
Can I watch Live Sex Cams in São Paulo? - Yes, you can! Basically you can watch our online live sex shows for free anywhere in the world if you’re connected to internet. Join to get 10 free private teasers and 9.99 credits for free! You can choose any girl from our trusted Live Sex Cams!
Live Sex Cams are booming at the moment. Webcam models can be found from all over the world and you can find girls, guys, trannies, couples and groups of different ages performing to you. Watching live sex shows is usually free, but if you buy some credits, you will have much better chances to see adult action as desired! It's possible also to hire a webcam model to a private chat room where you can ask the person to fulfill your fantasies.
There are hundreds of interesting places for adult entertainment in Sampa.
Escort Services and Agencies
There is a good selection of escort agencies and services in Sao Paulo.
Erotic Massage Parlors
Erotic massage parlours in Sao Paulo are called often as "clinicas". A clinica is a house which offers professional massages; the clinicas offer private space for the massages. Offering sexual services would be a crime; however, once inside the massage room, guest and masseuse may arrange extra services.
List of Massage Parlors (clinicas): Many of the following home pages are in Portugese (use translator if you don't understand something).
Here is an old alphabetical list of erotic massage parlors in Sao Paulo. Not sure are these parlors operating anymore and no guarantee they have extra services.
- As mais belas de São Paulo estão aqui.
- Clínica Fêmenna - Jabaquara São Paulo.
- Acompanhante de luxo - São Paulo: http://www.acompanhantesuniversitaria.com/acompanhantes/sao-paulo/
- Clinica Green House - Capital. http://www.clinicagreenhouse.com.br
- Clínica Kahunas - Vila Mariana São Paulo. http://www.clinicakahunas.com.br/
- Clínica Maetê - Granja Julieta - São Paulo.
- Clínica Spa Futtom - Campo Belo São Paulo.
- Clinica Ziran - Santa Cecília.
- Fetiche e Magia - Metro Santa Cruz.
- Glamour Massagens - Guarulhos.
- Instituto France-bel - Campo Belo São Paulo. http://www.francebel.com.br
- New Tokio - Massagens Orientais - Próx. Metrô Sta. Cruz. (THIS BUSINESS IS CLOSED)
- Privê Clube das Rosas - Praça da Árvore.
- Privê Guarullhos - Guarulhos.
- Redway - metro Ana Rosa.
- Sauna Água na Boca - Jabaquara - São Paulo.
Brothels and Sex Clubs
Sometimes brothels are called as "boates" in Sao Paulo.
In the last five years prostitution in São Paulo has had a makeover. A new type of brothel has proliferated and aimed at younger customers - forget dirty old men. There are about 20 of these “luxury houses” in the city. It is no longer enough just to offer girls and a threadbare room in a sleazy backstreeet – these superbrothels are not even in red light districts and some have a restaurant, live bands perform and even the rooms are fancier, with saunas and flat screen TVs.
A privê is basically a brothel, a fuck house. It can rank from the low end vintaoes (R$20) up to $R100 venues. There's no need to say that the quality of the girls vary in proportion to the amount of money you pay. Expect to find 4/10 to 7/10 garotas in vintaoes. In the upscale privês girls are in average around 7/10 to 8/10. The rooms may be very basic either with a shower inside the room or located in a corridor outside the room. Towels maybe wrapped (lacradas) and clean or so and so (in vintaoes). In privês girls parade in front of you, present themselves, kiss you on the cheeks and say: "Fique à vontade" (Make yourself comfortable). And the end of the presentation (presentação) you tell the Madam which one you like and pick up the girl you want. 1/2h and 1h sessions are available.
Some more brothels in Sao Paulo:
- Privê da Al. Jaú, Alameda Jaú, 480 - Jardim Paulista. Open 7 days a week. This is a true Brazilian Prive that only a local would know. They usually have around 6 girls on hand. The price is R $100 for 30 min and R$150 for 1 hour. There is a yellow top that has the numbering 480 on it. You can't miss it. Just ring the bell before walking up the stairs. You will be greeted by a lady and then you will sit down. The other girls working will each introduce themselves and you can select from the cast. Once you select your girl, you will be brought upstairs to a room which conveniently has a shower in the room. The price includes a blowjob (here they normally will give you a bbbj if you ask for it) and sex.
Strip Clubs and Striptease
- Rua Capote Valente 222, Pinheiros
Brazilian striptease dancers in Sampa can be very sexy! Here is a list of strip clubs in Sao Paulo:
- Aero Beer, Tel. 266 9002. R Joao Rudge 116.
- Armageddon, 14700 Otacilio Negrao de Lima. Mon-Sat 6pm - 2am.
- Boate Paris Texas, Tel. 265 6785. Av. Pompeia 678 Sumarezinho Brazil.
- Cocktail, Tel. 256 4602. R Nestor Pestana 189 Consolacao.
- La Ciccolina, +51 22 275-8949. Av. Princesa Isabel 185D. Mon-Sat 4pm - 4am.
- Las Vegas, Itatinga Area.
- Night House, Tel. 258 9623. Rua Augusta 723 Consolacao.
- Skorpions, +55 31 3223-2662. 52 Rua Mundurucus Centro Manaus.
- Swing Club, +55 073 226 8008. Farrapos 1312.
Karaoke and KTVs
Swinger Clubs and BDSM
ALT.com is the best place for local singles, swingers, and couples in the BDSM community to connect with those interested in submissive sex, power exchange, locating persons for new slave roles, erotic BDSM, bondage & fetish sex, as well as live sex dates. Find thousands of play partners for whatever your fetish may be; bondage, foot, cockold, spankings, role-play, electric or water play, sadism and masochism. So whether you have the desire to explore your unrealized fetish fantasies, or you are extremely experienced and would love to train someone new, ALT.com is a community designed for people with like-minded interests to find and connect with each other.
Swinger Clubs in Sao Paulo (old list):
- NEFERTITTI CLUB, Rua Augusta, 2077 - Jardins. Tel:015.11.30830101. (BUSINESS PROBABLY CLOSED)
- SWING CASABLANCA, Alameda Iraé, 284. Tel:55115051-1200. (BUSINESS PROBABLY CLOSED)
Sex Shops and Adult Stores
If you don’t feel like visiting or cannot find any local sex shops in São Paulo, you can easily order adult products from Online Sex Shop.
From adult shops in Sao Paulo you can find toys, magazines, lingerie etc. Here are some sex shops in Sao Paulo:
- A Menininha levada Sex-Shop, Tel:118477-8795. Rua Giovanni Gronchi, 6675.
- Darme Sex Shop, Avenida Ipiranga, 818, São Paulo - State of São Paulo, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 3221-4536.
- Fly Sensual Sex Shop, Rua Domingos de Morais, 2332 - Sala 01 Sobreloja , Vila Mariana, São Paulo - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 2501-4739.
- Sutra Sex Shop, Rua Clélia, 1428 - Lapa, São Paulo - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 3675-1325.
- Exclusiva Sex Shop - Guarulhos, Avenida Anielo Pratici, 426 - Jardim Santa Francisca, Guarulhos - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 2441-0061.
- Sexshop Zona Leste SP, Avenida Amador Bueno da Veiga, 2058 - Penha de Franca, São Paulo - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 4327-2221.
- Espaço Lu Pompoar, Rua Joel Jorge de Melo, 60 - Vila Mariana, São Paulo - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 3607-4850.
- Miess, Rua Bom Pastor, 334 - Ipiranga, São Paulo - SP, Brazil. Tel. +55 11 2061-4337.
Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
The Brazilian motel is not the same as a US motel. Brazilian motels are designed for sex, not really for sleeping. If you’re staying at a hotel that does not allow guests, if you prefer to be discrete, if you feel uncomfortable inviting strangers into your apartment, or if you just want a special night with a favorite garota, you might consider a trip to a motel.
The “love motel” is an institution in Brazil. Its existence reflects certain realities in the lives of most Brazilians: most live in crowded households, many share bedrooms with youngsters or other roommates, and few have anything resembling privacy. Hence, motels: places where couples — married or not — can have a few hours of privacy for sex.
Check the list of some (love) motels in Sao Paulo where you can spend a quality time and have sex with your girl.
Nightclubs and Bars
There are many nice nightclubs and bars in São Paulo where you can try your luck to find sex for free. Sampa has one of the best night lifes in the whole world! If you know how to dance, it's always a strength in Brazil to attract girls.
Gay and Lesbian
Gay modeling in internet is getting more popular all the time and it's a big market alongside with gay porn. You can watch gay live sex also in São Paulo as long as you are connected to internet. Check it out: Gay Live Sex Video Chat
Due to its high degree of acceptance and tolerance, gay travel is increasingly popular in Brazil. Brazil is open to LGBT tourists.
Sao Paulo is the biggest city of Brazil. It's size is unbelievable. Sao Paulo is also the city with the most gay nightlife of Brazil. It has some very big gay clubs. The area to be is Jardin. It's modern, clean, with many stores of the big fashion brands, and some exciting gay clubs and gay sauna nearby.
Baixo Augusta area has also become a major draw for São Paulo's gay community, one of the biggest in Latin America.
Gay Bars, Cafes and Pubs
- Bar da Dida, Rua Dr. Melo Alves, 98 - Jardins. The place is clean and cozy with friendly waiters ready to serve you and your friends booze and snacks.
- Bubu Lounge, Rua dos Pinheiros, 791. Big gay bar and club, with lounge, VIP room and dance floor. Especially popular on Friday with a young gay crowd.
- Cantho, Largo do Arouche, 32. For older clients.
- Farol Madalena, Rua Jerico 179. Farol Madalena is a mix of bar, restaurant and live song pub directed to the GLS public.
- Oscar Cafe, Rua Oscar Freire, 727 - Jardim Paulista. Some bistro, some cafe. Perfect stop for those who are shopping at the glamorous and expensive Oscar Freire street.
- Sonique, Rua Bela Cintra, 461 - Consolação. Phone: (11) 2628.8707. Super mega bar. Very well decorated and gets packed with people on the weekends
Gay Cruise Bars
- Gladiators Club 1, Rua Dr. Penaforte MENDES, 259, Bela Vista. Nice gay cruise club, even not always full.
- Gladiators Club 2, Rua Amaral Gurgel, 253, Centro. Nice gay cruise club, even not always full.
- Upgrade Club, Rua Santa Isabel 198. Gay cruise club, with modern design.
- Blue Space, Rua Brigadeiro Galvão 723, Barra Funda. Blue Space is one of the largest gay nightclubs in São Paulo and located in a huge colonial blue house in an old industrial neighborhood.
- Danger Dance Club, Rua Marques de Itu, 284. Danger is a gay club at Centro, with dag shows and gogo boys.
- Flex Club, Av. Marques de Sao Vicente. Big gay club in Sao Paulo. Quite popular.
- Gloria, Rua 13 de Maio, 830. Bela Vista. Gay club with a young crowd, often birthday parties.
- Vermont Itaim, Rua Pedroso Alvarenga, 1.192 - Itaim Bibi. Phone: (11) 3707.7721. A mix of a bar and a club which also brings a mixed of boys and girls around their 30s.
Gay Parties, Circuit Parties, After Parties etc.
- ABC Bailao, Rua Marquês de Itu, 182 - República. Gay party for 50+ and there admirers. Very traditional.
- Lions Night Club, Avenida Brigadeiro Luis Antonio 277 - 1º andar. The main night for this venue is Friday night. It is a gay bar with a party atmosphere.
- The Week, Rua Guaicurus, 324 - Lapa. The biggest gay dance club in South America with two dance floors and huge open air area with pool.
- Clube dos Pauzudos, Rua Dr Veiga Filho,802, Higienópolis. Gay play party. It happens regularly five times a month on scheduled dates - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays - however Friday is the best day.
Gay Saunas and Bath Houses
- Chilli Pepper Single Hotel, Largo do Arouche 610. This establishment is a 24/7 sauna with the added bonus of being a hotel. With 100 single rooms, 2 presidential suites and 2 comfort suites.
- Termas for Friends gay sauna, Rua Morgado Mateus, 365.
- Thermas Lagoa gay sauna, R. Borges Lagoa, 287 - Vila Mariana.
Other Adult Services
You can find almost everything you can imagine in Sao Paulo.
Dating in São Paulo can be a bit tricky due to cultural differences, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before your trip so you can meet a few locals ahead of time. AdultFriendFinder.com lets you meet local members in São Paulo and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. Since your time in São Paulo may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand, so that when you meet you can start having some real fun.
How to find Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies
If you are looking for an alternative to escorts in São Paulo with a girl who doesn’t charge by the hour, sugar dating is the ideal solution. There are thousands of beautiful young women at SecretBenefits.com willing to do anything for a man who will help them pay their bills.
Often referred to as the “Tinder for Older Guys”, SecretBenefits matches hot young women interested in pampering older gentlemen. You don’t have to be a millionaire at SecretBenefits.com, you just need to be a respectful gentleman who knows how to treat a woman.
When traveling to São Paulo you'll have to be prepared. Older ladies are hard to find without hooking up in advance. The best opportunity is to check out MILFs who really knows what they are doing. LocalMILFs.xxx has the best knowledge in this scene, don't hesitate to make an account to and you can start the trip without a hustle.
Transsexuals and Shemales
Finding someone for transsexual dating when you’re on the road can be a bit tricky, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before you go so you can find locals ahead of time. TSdates.com is a dating site designed to help you find exactly what you are looking for in your hookup in São Paulo. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. With over 40 million members, and thousands of transsexual members around the world, TSdates.com is the world’s largest site of sex-minded friends for discreet encounters and will help you find your next transsexual play partner.
Where can I find shemales in São Paulo? You can watch transsexual live sex shows in São Paulo as long as you are connected to internet. Check Now: Tranny Live Sex Video Chat
You can find some in certain gay clubs, but unless you speak Portuguese, you will encounter considerable difficulty in navigating in and around that environment.
Your best bet is to go to Rua (Rua = Street) Rego Freitas. That's the street where you will find a lot of tranny street action, close to Paulista/Jardins. On Rua Rego Freitas, find "Bar Elenice" (pronounced "Ay-lah-NEES-ee"). It's a brightly lit diner, (called a "boteco"). This is your starting point. Sit here long enough and have a beer or two, and you're likely to see at least a couple of our girls wanding in and out. The guys working there know you're there, and are not at all surprised to see foreigners. It is a pretty comfortable and friendly environment.
The real action is just outside Bar Elenice though. From there, you will immediately begin to see T-girls on the streets and corners. Confine the meandering to about a 2 or 3 block area close to Bar Elenice. Basically, circle the blocks close to the bar, and keep returning to Bar Elenice as you make your rounds. As you turn each corner, just look up and down the street, and you'll find what you're looking for.
Nobody (rarely) speaks any English. Learn a simple greeting ("Boa Noite"), and how to ask the price ("Cuantos?") will work. Anything beyond that is bonus. Cheap short-time hotels are easy to find.
It's a bit of a scary looking area, but by staying close to Bar Elenice and everything should be fine.
Another famous street is Indianapolis, this street is usually packed with beautiful transsexuals, sometimes you can even find Brazilian TS porn stars. Girls go to work there usually around 8pm until 2am.
Parque Da Luz / Luz Railway Station: Literally just across the road from Luz Railway station (north side). Which also doubles as the central metro station. Not only does this make getting and leaving there easy, it also means the area has a strong police presence and is pretty safe, especially during the day. Bus stops also service this area and drop off/pick up right outside the station. There are mostly females in the park by day (some hot but most are old and past it) but there are some travesti here too. Just sit on a bench and wait. They'll come to you. At night time, things are a little different. There are many more travesti here at night. Even though the park gates close at last light (around 6PM), the action continues outside. Just walk the road between the station's north entrance/exit and the Luz park fence, take a left across the bridge and left again to come back to the station's southern entrance/exit. Walk through the station and begin the loop again. Keep to this circle and you should be fine. Still, it would be advisory to carry just enough cash for your needs and no valuables. There are homeless and junkies in the area too. There are several short time hotels right outside the southern entrance/exit to the train station.
List of Venues
You can also find Trannie Girl action from these places:
- A Lôca, Rua Frei Caneca, 916 - Consolação - tel: 3159-8889
- Blue Space, Rua Brigadeiro Galvão, 723 - Barra Funda - tel: 36661616
- Danger DanceClub, Rua Rego Freitas, 470 - Centro - Tel.: 3211-0371
- Lov.e Club & Lounge, Rua Pequetita, 189 - Vila Olímpia - Tel.: 3044-1613
- Nostro Mondo, Rua Consolação, 2554 - Consolação - tel: 3259-2945
- Planet G, Rua Rego Freitas, 56
- The Week, Rua Guaicurus, 324 - Lapa
- Ultralounge, Rua da Consolação, 3031 - Jardins - Tel: 3875-0189
- Cantho Club, Largo do Arouche, 32 - Centro - São Paulo (SUNDAYS ONLY) - packed with beautiful transsexuals
Sexual Services for Women
Brazil has always been a very popular tourist destination due to its exotic wildlife, beautiful people, pristine beaches and raucous festivals like Carnival. But it appears that Brazil might be vying for the number one spot for sex tourism as well. Additionally, Brazil is a popular destination for female sex tourism, which generally does not see rates as high as male sex tourism. For female tourists, it should not be hard to find male companionship from a bar or a nightclub. Male escorts can be also found from internet in Brazil and they are very good looking and they are not very expensive.
Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
These hotels are girl friendly in Sao Paulo, means that you can take or call a girl to visit your room:
- Mercure Sao Paulo Jardins
- Mercure Sao Paulo Paulista
See also: Global list of girl friendly hotels
São Paulo, once one of the most violent cities of Brazil, has managed to drastically reduce crime during the 2000s. According to the Sangari Institute, São Paulo was the safest capital city of Brazil in 2011, in terms of homicide rate.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that a visitor can really relax about safety, because São Paulo is simply too large and diverse to be described by average statistics. In fact, two of the most visited areas, Downtown and the Pinheiros subprefecture (in the West), have respectively 150% and 50% more violent crime than the city average (according to ). Check the individual district listings for safety advice in each area of the city. The general advice is as follows:
Visitors should avoid walking in deserted areas at night, or at least avoid walking alone. Buses are reasonably safe, but waiting alone at a bus stop at night is not. The metro is always safe, but commuter trains that go to peripheral areas can be dangerous late at night. Be extremely careful when using ATMs at night (or better, do not use them if they are in deserted and dark places. If you really need one, try searching in places like shopping malls, theaters and cinemas and gas stations).
Some areas can be dangerous even during the day. These includes run-down areas, like favelas and areas populated by drug addicts. The last can be easily recognized by the presence of poorly maintained buildings, bad odor, and dirty streets - there are many of those in the Historic Center. Most drug addicts are harmless, but a few may resort to violence to get money to buy their drugs.
Contrary to popular belief, nowadays poor neighbourhoods in São Paulo aren't usually dangerous, at least not more dangerous than an ordinary neighborhood. Still, some of them can be dangerous, so if you are in doubt, don't go or have the company of a local.
- Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza, Manaus, Recife, Fortaleza, Belo Horizonte, Florianopolis, Porto Alegre
- Age of consent in Brazil
- Prostitution across the Americas
- Portugese Sex Phrasebook
- Prostitution, Street prostitution, Global prostitution prices
- Sex topics & Phrasebooks, Sex worker, Prostitute types
- Red-light district, List of red-light districts all over the world
- Brothel, Escort agency, Call girl, Erotic massage, Strip club
- Sex tourism, Sex industry, Countries with most prostitutes
- Sex vocabulary & Abbreviations, Humorous sexual terms
- Gay, Lesbian, Gay and lesbian travel, Bisexuality, Ladyboy
- Age of consent, Stay safe, Scams, Safe sex, STD, HIV/AIDS