Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro Sex Guide (Rio Sex Guide) advises where to find sex, working girls, garotas de programa, prostitution, street hookers, brothels, red-light districts, prostitutes, erotic massage parlors, strip clubs and escorts in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Rio de Janeiro is the second largest city in Brazil, on the South Atlantic coast. Rio is famous for its sexy girls, its laidback beach culture and its annual carnival.
The harbour of Rio de Janeiro is comprised of a unique entry from the ocean that makes it appear to be the mouth of a river. Additionally, the harbor is surrounded by spectacular geographic features including Sugar Loaf mountain at 395 meters (1,296 feet), Corcovado Peak at 704 meters (2,310 feet), and the hills of Tijuca at 1,021 meters (3,350 feet). These features work together to collectively make the harbor one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World ).
Rio de Janeiro hoasted many of the 2014 FIFA World Cup games, including the final, and the 2016 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, becoming the first South American city to host the Summer Olympics. Prices of sex services during these big events are higher than usually.
- 1 Rio de Janeiro Sex Scene and Prostitution
- 2 Rio de Janeiro Female Escorts
- 3 Districts
- 4 Red Light District
- 5 Street hookers
- 6 Amateurs
- 7 Strip clubs
- 8 Night clubs (boites)
- 9 Erotic massage parlors
- 10 Termas and Brothels
- 11 Escort Service & Agencies
- 12 Transsexuals / Shemales
- 13 Transsexual Escorts
- 14 Gay & Lesbian
- 15 Sexual Services for Women
- 16 Male Escorts
- 17 Swingers / Couples Clubs
- 18 Sex Shops & Adult Stores
- 19 Information About Escort Services, Agencies and Escorts
- 20 Sleeping in
- 21 Stay Safe
- 22 See Also
Rio de Janeiro Sex Scene and Prostitution
Prostitution itself (exchanging sex for money) in Brazil is legal, as there are no laws forbidding adult prostitution, but it is illegal to operate a brothel or to employ prostitutes in any other way.
It is a common mistake to think of Rio as Brazil's capital, a distinction it lost on April 21st 1960 when Brasilia became the capital. Beaches such as Copacabana and Ipanema, the Christ The Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) statue, the stadium of Maracanã and Sugar Loaf Mountain (Pão de Açúcar) are all well-known sights of what the inhabitants call the "marvelous city" (cidade maravilhosa), and are also among the first images to pop up in travelers´ minds, along with the Carnaval celebration.
People from Rio de Janeiro are called as "carioca"s.
See also: Rio de Janeiro Escorts
Rio de Janeiro Female Escorts
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
- Centro including Lapa and Santa Teresa. The city's financial and business centre also has many historic buildings from its early days, such as the Municipal Theatre, National Library, National Museum of Fine Arts, Tiradentes Palace, Metropolitan Cathedral and Pedro Ernesto Palace.
- Zona Sul (South Zone) including Copacabana, Leblon and Ipanema, as well as the districts along Flamengo Beach. Contains some of the more upscale neighborhoods and many of the major tourist sites, such as the Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, and Sugar Loaf and Corcovado Mountains.
- Zona Norte (North Zone). The Maracanã stadium, Quinta da Boa Vista Park with the National Museum the city's Zoo, the National Observatory and more.
- Zona Oeste (West Zone), a rapidly growing suburban area including primarily the districts of Jacarepaguá and Barra da Tijuca, popular for its beaches. Most of the Olympics in 2016 will be hosted there.
Red Light District
Vila Mimosa is one of the most famous areas of prostitution in the city of Rio de Janeiro. The Vila Mimosa is a group of establishments located in the same space (streets) and linked by the activity of prostitution.
An estimated 2,000 women work in the Vila Mimosa sex industry.
Vila Mimosa, is estimated to generate up to US$ 430,000 a month through prostitution. Most of the customers are local guys. Women who work as prostitutes in the area reportedly charge US $20 for sex. Some of the women also hold part time jobs as maids and cashiers in addition to their sex work in order to pay bills.
- Avoid the women working the street along Av. Atlântica in Copacabana. Some cruise the sidewalks while others stand at the end of parked cars in the street. Many are IV drug users, a fair number are transvestites, and high percentages are HIV+. Many of their customers find themselves robbed and beaten by a nearby pimp/boyfriend. Pick pocketing is rampant. If they approach you, head the other way (unless you like to get an extra adventure). Prices are very low if you are a good negotiator.
- There’s also street action to be found on Prado Junior, Avenida Gomes Freire (Lapa neighborhoud) and in Praça Mauá, but the same caveats/warnings apply.
By amateurs - the girls who will spend the night with you for free. The term “non-pro” gets used in a variety of ways, but usually to signify someone who is not a hardcore pro but who still expects to be paid. Amateurs are just party girls who you might sweet talk into spending the night with you. Generally, if you don’t speak Portuguese quite well, you can forget it.
There are clubs all over Rio, and it’s best to ask locals which are hot, since this changes as often as putas change underwear. One nice restaurant, Mostarda, has dancing on the 2nd floor after midnight, and there are lots of beauties. Nuth, in Barra da Tijuca, is a great dance club. Getting in these places is much like getting in to a trendy club in NY. You have to dress right and look right. You will generally NOT find pros in these clubs (if you do, they are usually “off-duty” and there to dance), but it is possible to sweet talk your way into some beautiful young thing’s pants ... if you speak Portuguese and you look like you have $$$. Again, if you can’t speak Portuguese, you’ll have a hard time picking up any amateurs. If you look like a guy who’s just hanging out looking for pussy, the girls will avoid you like the plague. Don’t assume that all Brazilian women are dying to fuck foreign men. They assume that most foreigners in Rio are sex tourists, and that any brasileira who is seen with a foreigner is a puta. Consequently, picking up amateurs is not as simple as many have made it sound — 99% of the stories you hear about free sex with amateurs are complete BS. You might end up spending by the end of the evening over $300 (US) for drinks and entrance and got nothing other than a couple hours of playing kissy - face in the club.
Here are some Strip Clubs in Rio de Janeiro:
- Barbarella, Rua Ministro Viveiros de Castro 24. Tel. 2275-7349. Open Mon-Sat 10pm - 2am.
- Kalabria, Rua Ronald de Carvalho, 21 - Copacabana Tel. +55 21 2541-9248, Open Mon-Sun 10pm - 8am. (After Hours)
- Black Night Blues Bar, Rua Pereira Nunes 326.
- Frank's Bar, Lido Av. Tel. 2275-9398.
- Don Juan, Rua Duvivier 37. Tel. 021 541 1240.
- La Ciccolina, Av. Princesa Isabel, 185D. Tel. +51 22 275-8949
- Pussy Cat, Av. Copacabana, 129. Tel. +55 21 275-8789.
Night clubs (boites)
Another common place to search for that girl is the night club area, which is located around Ave. Princess Isabel in Leme. There are many nightclubs in this neighborhood (also sometimes referred to as the Lido). These clubs (or "Boites") open relatively late and feature some exotic dance shows. The cover charges varie s from $15-$50 reais and sometimes includes the first drink or two. Drink prices tend to be VERY expensive, so keep an eye on your bar tab and check it each time you order something. Some of the clubs have been known to pad the tab with mystery charges.
These clubs are filled with women, some who dance and some who are just there to keep you company, share your drinks, and maybe go home with you. The dancers are also available to head home with you. The house makes its money off the drinks and cover. Barbarela’s does probably charge a few to take a girl out. The best-known places are Barbarela’s, Kalabria, Frank's, La Cicciolina, New Pussycat, Don Juan’s, and the New Scotch Bar. Barbarela's is known to have the most attractive women, but an evening here can get pretty expensive, and the place will pad your tab if you’re not very careful, after 4am they head over to Kalabria for after hours. Most of the girls will ask for $300-400 reais for 2 hours but will negotiate from there. Many will not want to spend the night; they would prefer to make the quick money and then find another customer later. Also worth noting is the fact that while many of these places open late, many of the hottest garotas get pulled out by 11 or so, especially at Barbarela’s.
List of the Night clubs
These Nightclubs are located in Copacabana:
- Barbarella’s, Rua Min. Viveiros de Castro, 24, Copa.
- Kalabria, Rua Ronald de Carvalho, 21 - Copa Tel. +55 21 2541-9248, Open Mon-Sun 10pm - 8am. (After Hours)
- Frank’s Bar, Av. Princess Isabel, 185, Copa.
- La Cicciolina, Av. Princess Isabel, 185, Copa.
- New Scotch Bar, Av. Princess Isabel, 7, Copa.
- Pussycat, Rua Belfort Roxo, 88B, Copa.
See also: History about Help Discoteca
Erotic massage parlors
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
Check out also Termas below.
Centro, and to a lesser degree Copacabana, are populated with a vast array of tiny sex shops that one would never notice if you didn’t know exactly where to look. These places sometimes advertise in the classified sections of the local papers (O Globo and O Dia, under “massagistas” or “massagem”) but often are known primarily through word of mouth. The locals refer to them as “casas de fast sex” or “fast fodas” (fast fucks). There are quite a few in the Cinelândia, Carioca and Uruguaiana neighborhoods in Centro. Most of these places have only a handful of girls available, along with just a few rooms. The girls are of variable quality; they generally are not as pretty as the cutest of the termas girls, but they are often just as skilled, and seem willing to work just as hard or harder for their money. Speaking of which, these places tend to be very inexpensive. Standard sessions are 20 - 30 minutes (with 10 minute programs available in some), and the price is usually 1 real per minute (i.e., about $13 US for a 30 minute session with the current exchange rate) give or take a few centavos. The rooms often leave something to be desired in the hygiene department, but are upscale compared to most of the facilities at a place like Vila Mimosa. These places are best to hit early in the day (before noon) because they get quite busy over the lunch hour (“businessman’s specials”), and due to the volume of sessions some girls have in a day, they get a bit worn out in the afternoon. Most open at 10 a.m. Bring a towel along, as some of the places don’t seem to change the sheets!
The majority of these places are located in the upper floors of downtown businesses. Several are located on Rua Buenos Aires, on the block across Av. Rio Branco from Termas 4X4. Try Rua Buenos Aires, 85 (3rd, 4th and 5th floors) and 113 (2nd floor). Nearby, on Presidente Vargas (590, room 1317) is a small fast-sex apartment that has about 8 girls. Most are “completa.” One small place is located a few blocks south of Rua Buenos Aires, at Rua Ouvidor, 130, rooms 707 and 911. There were just a few girls here, but you can find a very good 30 minute session for a very reasonable price. At Travessa do Ouvidor, 37 (near the intersection with Rua Ouvidor, east of Av. Rio Branco) you’ll find a small putaria up one flight of stairs. Also nearby is Rua Uruguaiana, 24. Wander up the stairs and on floor 2, 3, and 4 you’ll see several doors open with girls beckoning you to come in. Closer to the Cinelândia metro station you’ll find many apartment brothels. Check out Rua Evaristo da Veiga, 47 (apartments 501, 502, 701, and 702). A few blocks away is a small place at Rua Santa Luzia, 405 (4th floor, room 29). Two more reliably decent spots (decent is a relative term as used here; these are “real-a-minute” putarias after all) include Rua da Carioca, 59 (5th floor) and Avenida 13 de Maio, 47 (rooms 708 and 2408). Many, but not all, of these places will have pamphleteers out front passing out small ads.
There are many, many listings for small places to be found in the classified sections of O Globo and O Dia. (see http://odia.ig.com.br/classificados/ and look under “Casa” and then under “massagens e termas”). Many do not list addresses but provide phone numbers. They come and go very rapidly, so your best bet is to keep an eye on the ads in the papers or check the Brasilian mongering websites. Hint: you probably want to avoid the ads for "quase-mulheres" (transsexuals) unless that’s what gets your juices flowing. Similarly, ads for “coroas” are for older women, which is often code for “old and overweight.” These are generally not MILFs!
List of massage parlors / brothels
Here is a list of few places:
- Bel Prazer, located at Av. Rio Branco, 185/2114 (2517-0879) (http://www.belprazer.com) is an excellent massage place, where all of the massages are of the special variety. They always seem to have a good set of girls from which to choose. Price is 140 R$ for one hour.
- Flavia Massagens, (Av. Rio Branco, 181/1006; 2215-3606) (http://www.flaviamassagens.com.br). Flavia typically has about 8 girls on hand, and her new location has 5 suites that are clean and comfortable.
Termas and Brothels
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
In total, researchers have identified 279 active prostitution points across Rio, including areas such as the world famous Centaurus club.
The Portuguese word Termas literally means Spa, but it refers to a legal club or facility where prostitutes operate. A termas is a combination of spa/health, club/massage, facility/bar/brothel.
Normally after paying your entrance fee at a reception desk you will receive a locker key. Then proceed to a locker room to change into a robe and to lockup your clothes and personal effects. You can also shower or sauna and in some places even freshen up with disposable toothbrushes and razors that are provided. Your locker key is very important, besides locking up your clothes in a locker it also acts as a "credit card" inside of the termas to purchase drinks, massages, garotas de programa (prostitutes) and so on. Keep track of your key at all times.
In some termas you stay in your street clothes. Some termas also have a bad habit of providing a girl to help you change, usually these are the worst girls and it is best to ditch them as soon as possible.
Termas usually have a bar, a sauna and other amenities such as TVs with football or soap operas playing. There is a common room like a lounge where you meet the garotas de programa (prostitutes) for selection. When you first enter the area where the girls are, you might want to walk around awhile and check the talent out before taking a seat. If you see someone you want to check out closer, just say hi and ask if she wants a drink. If you sit down when you enter, you’re likely to be trapped by one of the more aggressive girls, these girls use this tactic because they’ll get no takers otherwise.
They have rooms ranging from a basic bed to luxury suites with jacuzzis. Some rooms are included in the basic price and only charge for suite upgrades, but some termas have a charge for even a basic room. In some termas a suite is just a basic room with a private shower, so you should check before upgrading.
These rules apply more generally when interacting with the working girls, or garotas de programa and this is what you should tell them: This is not your first trip to Rio, you will be in Rio for several weeks, and you won’t be leaving for at least another week. None of this may be true, but these are the correct answers to the invariable questions you will receive from the girls. “Is this your first time in Rio?” “How long will you be in Rio?” “When are you leaving?” You may think these questions are just an effort on the girl’s part to make polite conversation, and in a sense they are, but the girls are also sizing you up. Neophytes will be seen as someone who can potentially be taken advantage of. Newbies don’t know the ropes and may be underserved and worked for expensive drinks. The person who is staying only a few days may receive less attention and poorer service because it’s unlikely he’ll be a steady customer. Similarly, the guy who says “I’m leaving tomorrow and won’t be back for a year” is begging for an unenthusiastic quickie from the girl (known by veterans as the RTF, or “Rio Tourist Fuck”). If, on the other hand, you tell the girl you’ve been in Brasil several times and will be around for awhile, she’s more likely to give her best effort in order to assure customer loyalty and repeat business (yes, from her perspective it is about business). Only after you’ve been around a while and know specific girls pretty well should you answer these questions truthfully.
An interesting innovation has been popping up among the termas over the past few years: customer loyalty — or Frequent Fucker — programs. Termas 65, Solarium, and Monte Carlo all have programs in place. Check for details at the termas. If you’re favorite termas doesn’t have a Frequent Fucker program, recommend that they join in or lose out. Most work by giving you a free entrance after five paid visits.
Several of the termas have special promotions that can save you money on your visits. For example, if you visit the Solarium website you can sign up for the “Festa do Internauta” (Internet User Party) promotion. When you register, a certificate will be emailed to you that is good for the price of admission on any Monday. The certificate is valid for two weeks, so request one just before you leave for Rio. You can also register for “Semana Maluca” (Crazy Week), and you will be sent an email notification a few days in advance of the occasional crazy weeks (discounted prices on rooms). Keep an eye on the promotions, as they can save you a significant amount of money over the course of a week.
Some of the termas have occasional or monthly festas, or special parties, which often involve larger than usual numbers of girls and special decorations and costumes. 4X4, for example, has at least one festa per month. Some of the termas post this information on their websites (4X4, 65), others send email announcements (Solarium, Monte Carlo, L’uomo), and all post sign s in advance of these parties. The Halloween parties, for example, are often great fun, and the festas at 4X4 feature as many a 180 garotas!
In almost all cases, your bill is paid as you leave the termas. While credit cards are accept ed at most termas, in many cases you must pay the girls’ fees in cash. All other charges can typically be put on your card. The charges appear on your billing statement in an innocuous form (“Harry’s Grill”). Some add an additional charge for using a cre dit card. Tipping the girls is not expected and in termas is generally inappropriate, but a small tip for the locker room attendant is always in good form.
List of Termas in Rio de Janeiro
Here is a list of termas in Rio (some information might be outdated):
- Black and White - Av. Paris 634. Tel. 21041-020, (21) 2280-7499.
- RIO’S AMERICAN BAR - Rua Guilherme Maxwell, 389 – (21) 2573-6809
- FENIX BOYTE CLUB - Rua Leopoldo Bulhões, 2350
- Boate Flórida - Praça Mauá 9. Tel. 20081-240, (21) 2263-3081. The girls are available for sessions on site or for take-out. The girls here do not get commissions for drinks you buy them, so they don’t pressure you to do so. Additionally, this is a really late night spot, staying open until 5 am.
- Centro de Lazer MV30 - Rua Mairink Veiga 30, 1st Floor. Tel. 20090-050, (21) 2233-6865. Hours: Mon-Fri 14:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 25.
- Termas 116 - R. da Conceição 116. Tel. 20051-012.
- Termas 191 - R. de Santana 191. Tel. 20230-260.
- Termas 21 - R. Buenos Aires 21, 2nd Floor. Tel. 20070-021, (21) 2233-8307. Termas 21 is a small place with a reasonable selection of prostitutes, although quality is variable. The owner of Termas 21 also owns 4x4 and Termas 502.
- Termas 31 - Rua Alcântara Machado 31. Tel. 20081-010, (21) 2516-8329.
- Termas 4x4 - R. Buenos Aires 44. Tel. 20051-012, (21) 2283-1009. Hours: Mon-Fri 14:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 120. This Terma is great, it is by far the biggest Terma in Rio de Janeiro, it has 50 cabines (rooms) – L´Uomo and the others by comparison have about 12. The girls can be described best as having a "Gangsta" look with plenty of Ink. It is set up primarily for the locals, hence the predominant shape is big asses, but all shapes and sizes are present, and many touristas do go there. With over 100 girls, one can always find something, quality by quantity is well described. The atmosphere here is great, local Brasilain and US funk plays hard. you will want to experience the Terma in full swing, after 8pm, when it is so crowed you can't move, akin to a fucking zoo and the music so loud you can't think. If there were to be a fire in there you would surely die, not a chance in hell of getting out. If you are a fan of big asses, this place will rock your world. They have also a Whisky Bar that has 2 entrances, one from the street and one from the main club. You can and remain in your clothes if only using the Whisky Bar. They have also installed a “firemans hole” in the boite where girls can open a door, grab the pole and go down to the Whisky Bar. There is no way you could get away with this in a western country, due to safety regulations, but this is Brasil after all. They also have a shower in the main boite that girls do a show in. They also have a relax room upstairs which is less crowded and you can order food etc. It is way at the back of the club up a level via a spiral staircase.
- Termas 502 - R. da Alfândega 65. Tel. 20070-003. Hours: Mon-Fri 14:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 40. This place is a bit different. You do not change into a robe. Upon entry the receptionist gives you a plastic card where your drinks are recorded by a swipe, they don't speak English here, just nod your head and grab the card. Entrance includes 2 local drinks.
- Termas 65 - R. do Rosário 65. Tel. 20041-003, (21) 2203-1338 Hours: Mon-Fri 14:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 40. One block from 4x4, this place is slightly more expensive than most in centro. Quality at my last visit was quite good. The boite is very small though. Girls tend to be a bit more classy (although not much!) than the "Gangstas" at 4x4. The staff working at the front desk are helpful and will explain the prices and options in English. Termas 65, like 4x4, is located on several floors. Just follow the noise to the boite upstairs where you’ll find about 30-40 girls crammed into a fairly small space. There are other rooms where you can get something to eat and have a quieter conversation, but the action takes place in the main boite. Termas 65 has a “Frequent Fucker” program: entrance is free on your third visit within a month, but you must register for the program at the termas. Sadly, you don’t get a “Termas 65 Frequent Fucker” card to carry in your wallet.
- Termas 81 - Rua da Quitanda 81. Tel. 20091-005, (21) 2252-9727.
- Termas Cancun - R. do Carmo 64. Tel. 20011-020, (21) 2232-6381. Hours: Mon-Fri 15:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 50. The facilities at this place are top notch, easily better than any other terma in Centro or Zona Sul. Having said that, the talent of late has been hit and miss. Sometimes there are some nice girls, at other times the talent lacks a little. The normal signs of a new terma. If you do check it out make sure you do so Tues – Thur after 7pm, there you will see the terma in full swing, if you go earlier you may be one of the only people there. If you don’t want to put on a robe, you can visit the Whiskeria (Whiskey club – normal boite) at the base of the club.
- Termas La Palace - R. do Mercado 25. Tel. 20010-120, (21) 2507-5720.
- Buena Vista Club - Av. Cesário de Melo 1385. Tel. 23085-110, (21) 2412-1723.
Barra da Tijuca:
- Café 400 - Av. Sernambetiba 400. Tel. 22620-170, (21) 2492-9017/2492-9019. Hours: Mon-Fri 18:00-?. Number of Girls: 30-40. Here is Swingers club on the weekends. During the week the girls are cheap but drinks are expensive. The best nights to go is probably Wednesday or Thursday. Barra Da Tijuca is a nice change for a break. It is a very middle class, crime free area about 30 minutes ride south of Rio de Janeiro. The drive down the coast road is quite spectacular as is the view to Rocinha, Rio's biggest favela (slum) on the way, lock the door when passing through! About 30-40 girls are there, some were very nice as well. Predominantly locals visit this place but surprising the girls were nice and slim. Do not pay for any of your bill by credit card, they slug you hard, 30% on top of your bill! In summary pay everything in cash, drink local drinks and it works out slightly less than Zona Sul termas even with cab fare if you can find a fellow amigo to split with. They have a locker facility to put any bags, etc. in upon entrance if required, it is located behind the reception. If travelling down to Barra Da Tijuca and coming back at night take your passport with you, the Police sometimes set up roadblocks on the way back into town, if you don't have ID they may try to get a bribe out of you (not pleasant).
- Club 117 - Rua Cândido Mendes 117. Tel. 20241-220, (21) 2252-0160.
- Termas Rio Antigo - Rua Joaquim Silva 2. Tel. 20241-110, (21) 2224-9591. Hours: Mon-Fri 14:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 30. Not far from Centro but still in Zona Sul. Rooms are very new and nice, with little wash basins for cleaning up afterwards. Very much a locals place, English is spoken by at least one of the receptionists. Best time to arrive is around 5pm, maybe just before, any earlier and not everyone has arrived yet and you will be most likely the only guy there. Generally does not get packed by men at any time, mostly Brasilian men as clients who tend to grab one girl and sit on her for a couple of hours. Much better Tue-Wed-Thu.
- Club 29 - Rua Prof Alfredo Gomes 29. Tel. 22251-080, (21) 2286-6380. This is a place for gays. See webpage and review comments.
- Copacabana Termas Spa - Av. Ns. de Copacabana 583, Suite 203. Tel. 22031-000, (21)2257-2172. Less than 10 girls.
- Phoenix - R. Min. Alfredo Valadão 36. Tel. 22031-050. Hours: Mon-Fri 17:00-01:00, Sat 17:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 15. Formerly a gay termas, Phoenix is being run by former L´Uomo staff, who are trying to give L´Uomo a little competition, something very welcome given recent price increases at many of the termas, including L´Uomo. Phoenix is smaller than L´Uomo, with about 10 cabines and suites upstairs. A small locker room (the gay guys must have liked close quarters) opens into the boite, which is reasonably nice. The dj cranking out the music here came over from L´Uomo. The sauna facilities are modest; three showers (w/ hot water) and a small steam room. Cabines and suites feature nice mattresses and are reasonably comfortable.
- Termas Beach Girls - R. Barata Ribeiro 370, Suite 211. Tel. 22040-002, (21) 2236-3374.
- Termas L´Uomo - Rua Siqueira Campos 143, 2nd Floor. Tel. 22031-070, (21) 2549-4113. Hours: Sun-Sat 16:00-01:00. Number of Girls: up to 60. Located inside a shopping mall (for antiques), next to S Campos Metro station entrance; simply enter the shopping centre, find the nearest escalator and you will find it. L´Uomo is by far the friendliest Terma in town. You very rarely have duds here and quite often you can arrive at 5pm and stumble out at midnight wondering where the time went. You can also buy the music that plays there, great souvenir to remember the place by, just see the DJ or get a girl to ask him for you. The girls are less numerous than Quatro por Quatro (4X4) or Centaurus, and more variable in quality, but the best are great, and they seem to want to work harder to please you than many other places. L´Uomo sometimes has the feel of a neighborhood bar. When you enter L´Uomo you'll first go to a dressing room and change into a robe and sandals. You can then head through the bar and to the sauna area for a shower, a steam bath or sauna, etc. The bathroom has disposable toothbrushes, razors and shaving cream, etc. Next to this room is a large room with a television and chaise lounges. Here you can kick back and relax alone for a few minutes. The action takes place in the bar area. Head into the bar, grab a seat, order a drink, and watch the action. Depending on the day of the week and the time of day, between 10 and 30 girls will be working.
- Termas Monte Carlo - R. Hilário de Gouveia 19. Tel. 22040-020, (21) 2255-4489. Hours: Mon-Fri 15:00-02:00, Sat-Sun 15:00-24:00. Number of Girls: up to 50. The staff here tends to turnover fast, hence if you don’t like the selection one day, give it a few days and you might see some new faces in the line. Great location, nice and close to ground zero. Monte Carlo is very convenient, just a block from the beach and Avenida Atlântica. It’s also just a few blocks from L´Uomo, making it convenient to run from one to the other. The routine and set-up at Monte Carlo is nearly identical to L´Uomo. You enter and change clothes on the ground floor, take the elevator or stairs to the showers/spa on the second (facilities are nicer than L´Uomo's) and take the elevator to the club on the 3rd floor, where the girls are to be found.
- Só Filé e Cia - R. Gen. Andrade Neves 142. Tel. 24210-000, (21) 2620-0630.
- Termas Excentric - R. da Conceição 132. Tel. 24020-082, (21) 2722-3759/2620-7547. Hours: Mon-Fri 18:00-?. Number of Girls: 20. To get there from Rio de Janeiro (Niteroi is located across the bay from Centro), take the barcas (ferry) at Praca 15 and once in Niterói go across the avenue in front of the barcas and one block to the left the street begins and about 2 blocks ahead, it is on the right side of the street. The entrance is a little difficult to find as it is a narow stairway going up to the second floor. No robes are required, has a great party atmosphere, playing funk, live strip show with guests participating and about 20 or more non pushy garotas, which will actually tell you no if they do not feel like going with you. Mostly morenas and mulatas only a couple of fake blonds.
- Termas no Centro de Niterói - Av. Ernani do Amaral Peixoto 357. Tel. 24020-075.
Recreio dos Bandeirantes:
- Paris Café - Av. das Américas 15105. Tel. 22793-082, (21) 2437-1660. It's about 10 minutes past past Barra da Tijuca. Cheap prices for a girl. You do not use a Robe, stay in your street cloths. They have some nice girls.
- Termas Âncora do Recreio - Av. das Américas 13081. Tel. 22793-082, (21)3326-3334/2497-5958. Hours: Mon-Fri 17:00-?. Number of Girls: up to 20. Has some cute girls and nice facilities, if you don’t find anything, Paris Café is just down the road.
- Termas 73 - R. Haddock Lobo 73. Tel. 20260-130, (21) 2293-8913.
- Termas Aquárius - R. Acre 61. Tel. 20081-000, (21) 2516-3535. This place is not far from MV30. Nice clean rooms, girls can be hit or miss. Best to get there after 6pm, can be quiet before. It’s a bit bigger than Termas 502 and has upstairs and downstairs bars. Prices are similar to Termas 502. One of the interesting features of this termas is that you can pay a bar fine (used to be R$40) and take a girl out with you for the night.
- Termas Caribean Queen - R. Ns. das Graças 604. Tel. 21031-612 ,(21) 2573-6441.
- Termas Centaurus - R. Caning 44. Tel. 20975-010, (21) 2267-5941. Hours: Mon-Fri 16:00-02:00, Sat 16:00-24:00. Number of Girls: 70+. They speak English quite well so you will have no problem relaying to them that you only want to pay the entrance upfront. Of course when you do grab a girl you will have to go back down to the boite and pay for the girls fee before nailing her unless you are known to them, then they will let you pay everything on the way out. Also be careful to ditch the "welcoming girl", girls that latch onto you suckerfishlike when you enter the locker on the premise of helping you change, these girls are always the least popular and should be ditched quickly. The best girls are so busy they are always in the boite, which is upstairs. This place polarises people. Some guys swear by it because of the quality of the girls looks, and they generally do have the most attractive girls. Other guys refuse to go there complaining that the management has a poor attitude, which is generally conceded that they do. The girls tend to be a lot more pushy about upgrades for suites, getting you to do 2 girls at the same time etc here, and this places absolutely kills you on the upgraded price. Don't be afraid to say no, they are so pushy (instructed by management) that you may have to say it twice or three or four times, in many respects they are like pesky beach vendors.
The starting price for a 40 minute session with a prostitute in a room at the brothel is US$ 200. Entrance fee is $US 60. Centaurus brothel (termas) is the place where Justin Bieber had sex with Brazilian prostitute in Rio de Janeiro 2013.
- Termas Sol de Ipanema - R. Barão da Torre 522. Tel. 22411-002, (21) 2203-1338.
- Termas Coquettish - R. Belisário Pena 1235. Tel. 21020-010, (21) 2290-1054.
- Termas Correia Dutra - Rua Correia Dutra 68. Tel. 22210-050, (21) 2285-0197.
- Termas Jacarepaguá - R. do Castor 17. Tel. 22780-794, (21) 2441-1350.
- Whisqueria Orion Café - Estrada dos Bandeirantes 5056. Tel. 22775-114.
Escort Service & Agencies
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
Transsexuals / Shemales
Copacabana Beach is the place where t-girls can be found. There are plenty of shemales selling their bodies. They are relatively cheap compared to Rio termas. You can also find shemale escorts in Rio who work from a private flats or hotels.
In Rio, you must be extra cautious at the transexual clubs and whenever you have a good time with transgirls. It is common for t-girls drug men, by slipping drugs in to their drinks. After that prostitutes and their pimps will take all your valuables and empty your bank accounts.
Transsexual Clubs & Parties
- Rio Relax Luxury Party
it's a monthly transexual event, every 2nd Thursday and starts at 11pm
Transsexuals, Crossdressers, guys, girls - all are welcome
Cover charge is usually 20 Rials before midnight, T-girls free entrance & GOGO Dancers & Shows. Plenty of sexy transexual freelancers and lots of hot crowd.
Venue: Club Six, Rua das Marrecas N¦ 38, LAPA, Rio de Janeiro
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
Gay & Lesbian
Rio de Janeiro is the main destination for lesbian and gay travellers from all over Brazil and the rest of the world. The city has been chosen as the best lesbian and gay international destination in 2009, and the sexiest gay place in the world in 2010 and 2011.
The best areas to stay in Rio de Janeiro are the neighbourhoods of Copacabana or Ipanema. These are the wealthier areas in town and they offer the best shops, restaurants, hotels, gay bars and clubs. And on top, both areas have the most beautiful beaches in town. For example Rio Othon Palace and Hotel Vermont are gay friendly hotels.
The gay beach, so the hotspot to show off your tan, is the beach on Ipanema gay beach, at the end of the Rua Farme de Amoedo. You will recognize it from the rainbow flags and the thousands of hot guys standing between the umbrellas, showing off and cruising around.
Gay night-life in Rio starts late, very late. Do not expect the bars to fill up before midnight. Le Boy is still one of the popular choices on Copacabana, but new club The Week, down in Centro attracts the biggest crowds of cute and muscled guys.
Brazil has an extensive and functional treating of AIDS. Anti-retrovirus drugs are freely distributed on the public healthcare system.
Here is a list of Gay Clubs in Rio de Janeiro:
- Le Boy, Rua Raul Pompéia, 102, Copacabana. Gay club. mon-sun 23:00– late.
- The Week, Rua Sacadura Cabral, 154, Downtown. Gay club. fri-sun 23:00– late.
- Buraco da Lacraia (Stars Club), R. André Cavalcante, 58, Lapa. fri-sat 22:30–05:30.
- Cine Ideal, Rua da Carioca, 62, Downtown. fri-sun 23:00– late.
- Fosfobox - Fosfobar, Rua Siqueira Campos, 140 –22a , Copacabana. mon-sun 22:00– late.
- Galeria Cafe, Rua Teixeira de Melo, 31, Ipanema. tue-sun 22:00– late.
- La Cueva, Rua Miguel Lemos, 51, Copacabana. tue-sun 23:00– late.
- Womens club, part of infamous Le Boy: La Girl is located Rua Raul Pompéia, 102, Copacabana. mon-sun 23:00– late.
Here are some Gay bars, pubs and cafes:
- A Casa da Lua, Rua Barão da Torre, 240, Ipanema.
- Bar d'Hotel, Av. Delfim Moreira, 696 , Leblon.
- Expresso Carioca, Rua Farme de Amoedo, 76, Ipanema
- Maxim's, Av. Atlântica, 1850, Copacabana.
- Rainbow Kiosk, Av. Atlantica, Hotel Copacabana Palace , Copacabana.
- Turma OK, Rua do Resende, 43, Downtown.
Here are some Gay Cinemas, Bookstores, Glory Holes and Adult Arcades
- Rose, Alvaro Alvim 37, Rio de Janeiro
This is a sex shop where you can buy some token (Five reals) on the balcony and go straight to the 2nd floor. There is some club music playing and a small bar, you can buy more token there if you run out of the ones you bought to get inside. There are two toilets (but no action inside). Look for the dark room and check the cabins. This is the best place here in Rio. The public here is a little different from other gay cruising places. Same public who goes to nightclubs with some exceptions. Therefore, you'll find mostly young people who identify as gay. Lots of competition around, designer clothes, sexy gym bodies, attitude, not the democratic environment we expect from a cruising place. But since the city does not offer too many options, then you might as well get lucky. If you want to have more privacy it's best to go the first floor. It's more polite than blocking the glory holes on the 2nd floor. The second floor is a place for public (the whole place as a matter of fact). Too bad some guys do not understand that. There are some cheap hotels around if you really want privacy. Plus, have patience, people look around a lot, trying to x-ray what's going in the cabins, through the glory holes, and alongside the cabins, choosing too much for a cruising place. So the second floor is definitely cruisiest because the private cabins have glory holes. They play gay porno videos and there's a dark room.
- Iris Cine, Rua da Carioca, 49, Rio de Janeiro
Very sexy and wild cinema in downtown Rio, action all over the place, packed and steamy. Colorful old theater. Price is about $2.50 US. Many sexy Brazilians of all ages.
- Orly, Rua Alcindo Guanabara, 17, Rio de Janeiro
This is the only real theater, it shows movies not videos, it can be a journey into memory lane, the place is decadent and the men could be much better but when you wish upon a star. Mostly older men and transvestites. If you seat next to first post on the right people will wait in line for a blow job (if you are not picky and you are patient).
- Rex Cinema, Rua Alvaro Alvim, Rio de Janeiro
Good old cinema. Plenty of black, white, and latino meat, often huge cocks.
- Cine Ideal, Rua da Carioca 64, Rio de Janeiro
Sexual Services for Women
Brazil has always been a very popular tourist destination due to its exotic wildlife, beautiful people, pristine beaches and raucous festivals like Carnival. But it appears that Brazil might be vying for the number one spot for sex tourism as well. Additionally, Brazil is a popular destination for female sex tourism, which generally does not see rates as high as male sex tourism. For female tourists, it should not be hard to find male companionship from a bar or a nightclub. Male escorts can be also found from internet in Brazil.
Check out WikiSexGuide Adult Classifieds!
Swingers / Couples Clubs
Here are swinger clubs in Rio de Janeiro:
- Clube da Seducao Paris Cafe, Tel. 55 21 2437-2025. http://www.clubedaseducao.net/
- 2a2 - http://www.2a2.com.br/
Sex Shops & Adult Stores
Here are some sex shops in Rio de Janeiro:
- CORPO E SEDUCAO SEX SHOP E LINGERIE, (21) 2765-3132, (21) 2669-3905.
- FRUIR SEX SHOP, (21) 3412-0555.
- SEDUZA SEX SHOP, R Felipe Cardoso 337 s 204 - Santa Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, (21) 3365-1712.
- TENTAÇÃO SEX SHOP, R do Ouvidor 130 sl 208 - Centro, (21) 2224-2706.
- BEIJINHO DOCE, R Luís de Camões 16 box 208 ed 18 - Centro, (21) 2224-0004.
- INTIMIDADE SEX SHOP, Pç da Taquara 34 s 303 - Taquara, (21) 2435-2821.
- SEX DREAMS BOUTIQUE SENSUAL, Av das Américas 19019 s 301C - Recreio Bandeirantes, (21) 2255-1661.
Information About Escort Services, Agencies and Escorts
There are dozens of escort agencies through which you can book girls for a few hours during the day or evening. Many have web sites where you can check out the girls pics (usually minus views of their faces), and many also have advertisements in the classified section of the local newspapers. Descriptions of the girls are rather sensationalized, but they will often tell you if the girl does anal (“completa”) and what other services she offers. Many also have books of photos, so you can go to their offices and select a girl from the book or have a girl bring the book to your hotel/apartment (for a small fee). Most agency staff speak only Portuguese, so arranging something by phone can sometimes be a challenge if you don’t speak the language. The prices vary considerably, but you can generally find a beauty to entertain you for two hours for between 100 and 250 reais.
The escort agencies generally will not let you make a booking unless you have a telephone, so if you are staying in an apartment and don’t have a cell phone, booking escorts can be difficult. One of the nice things about the agencies is that many open fairly early. Let’s say you wake up at 10 a.m. and are feeling pretty horny. Give one of the agencies a call and you’ll have a pretty little brasileira doing a lap dance on your pole in 20 minutes. Almost all of the agencies advertise prices for 2 hours, but if you’d rather keep your session to an hour, most will give you prices for 60 minutes. Note, however, that the 2-hour prices are always a much better deal.
Independents are almost invariably a bit more pricey than girls from the agencies, but many guys prefer them because these are women who have chosen to work independently, and generally have to perform well in order to garner repeat business and recommendations via word of mouth.
The Brasilian motel is not the same as a US motel. Brasilian motels are designed for sex, not really for sleeping. If you’re staying at a hotel that does not allow guests, if you prefer to be discrete, if you feel uncomfortable inviting strangers into your apartment, or if you just want a special night with a favorite garota, you might consider a trip to a motel.
The “love motel” is an institution in Brazil. Its existence reflects certain realities in the lives of most Brasilians: most live in crowded households, many share bedrooms with youngsters or other roommates, and few have anything resembling privacy. Hence, motels: places where couples — married or not — can have a few hours of privacy for sex.
Because motels are intended for sex, they are designed for sex. Most have nice big beds with strategically placed mirrors. Many have whirlpools; most have TV with one or more porn channels. Upscale rooms have dry saunas, steam baths, swimming pools, waterfalls, and all sorts of electronic goodies (including internet connections in some cases, so you can upload those pictures as soon as you take them!). Some have special "equipment," like chairs especially designed for sex play (the infamous “cadeira erotica”). Several have on - site sex shops where you can purchase toys and such. The motels can be found all over Rio.
For more on this marvelous Brasilian institution (second only to the termas), see: http://www.guiademoteis.com.br. This site has links to many motel web sites and also has a link that allows you to print discount coupons for a number of the motels. Discount coupons are also sometimes available directly from the sites for the motels. The guide also has a primer on how to use the sex chairs found in some motel rooms!
Here are some nice motels, five located close to Copacabana/Ipanema and two in or close to Centro:
- VIPS Motel, (Av. Niemeyer, 418, Leblon, Ph: 3322-1662), http://www.vipsmotel.com.br/. Basic apartments are $90 for 8 hours; suites begin at $210 and go up to $580 for the Millennium. Great for festas.
- Sinless Hotel, (Av. Niemeyer, 214, Leblon, Ph: 2512-9913), http://www.sinless.com.br/. The basic apartments are $44, with suites running from $83 to $165 (for 6 hours on Fri. and Sat. and 12 hours all other days).
- Bambina Hotel, (Rua Bambina, 65, Botafogo, Ph: 2539-0713), http://www.bambinahotel.com.br/. Suites begin at $129, up to $289 (for 6 hours).
- Panda Hotel, (Rua São Clemente, 298, Botafogo, Ph: 2537-3134). http://www.pandahotel.com.br. Apartments are $99 and suites are $110 and $399 (for 6 hours on Fri. and Sat. and 12 hours all other days).
- Diamond Hotel, (R. da Gloria, 46, Gloria, Ph: 2253-6262), http://www.diamondhotel.com.br. Apartments run from $64.50 to $81.00; suites from $115.90 to $161.50, for 6 hours. Twelve hour rates are available. Good for festas.
- Hotel Snob, (R. Henrique Valadares, 150, Centro, Ph: 2509-1818), http://snobhotel.com.br. Snob has prices for 4- and 12-hour stays. Apartments are $68/$89 and suites start at $87/$99 and go up to $199/$262.
- Nossa Hotel, (Av. Niemeyer, 210, Leblon, Ph: 2274-3247), http://www.nossohotel.com.br. Apartments are $40 and suites run from $58 to $125 (for 6 hours on Fri. and Sat. and 12 hours all other days).
- If you find yourself in Copacabana with a garota you have to session with right away and don’t have time for a trek to these motels, a nearby option is the Vanity Motel, located at Av. Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 1079 (just a few blocks from Help). The place is nothing to write home about, but the rooms have all the basics for accomplishing your mission.
Girl friendly Hotels
- Atlantico Copacabana Hotel
- Mercure Rio de Janeiro Botafogo Hotel
See also: Global list of girl friendly hotels
It is important to note that while the following information may panic you and also make you question whether to go or not to Rio, most visitors to the city have a great time with no incidents.
As a traveler, even if you don't leave the "Zona Sul" (which include Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Gávea, Jardim Botânico, Flamengo, Laranjeiras, Botafogo, Urca) or Western Suburbs (Barra, Recreio), you may experience a palpable tension over security.
Generally, tourists (gringos) and teenagers are considered "easy" targets for criminals. Day-to-day living has also been affected by this. For example, regular banks all have fortress style security doors and armed security men. Rio can be a dangerous city and it is wise to follow these rules even if they seem over exaggerated.
In order to fully enjoy your trip the traveler should pay attention to simple things. Avoid the downtown area, especially Saara, after dark. Although downtown is a relatively safe place during the day, after-dark all the people who work there have already gone home. If you are going to a theater or a show, it's all right; but do not wander in those dark streets by night. Go to Ipanema beach, all lighted and policed during the night, though even there is not entirely safe for tourists who look obviously like tourists.
Sunday is a particular day since most shops are closed and their security guards are absent so the neighbourhood Centro is not safe in the daytime. Also, even the bigger streets in Copacabana are less safe after dark so the beach walk is probably the best option.
Should you find yourself being mugged, the normal advice applies:
Don't resist or do anything to aggravate the muggers. Try not to stare in their faces as they might think you are memorizing their appearance. Eyes to the ground is probably your best bet. Let them take anything they want (keep your arms limp). Afterwards, leave the scene quickly but calmly (don't run in panic screaming for the police).
In the morning, especially before the police arrive, if you are walking or jogging on, Copacabana should be considered unsafe. Even with people around, joggers are popular targets for mugging. If you plan on jogging make sure not to wear anything that may tempt a mugger (watch, ipod etc) and if you can, wait until after 10:00 AM.
When in downtown during the rush hour, be aware of pickpockets as in any other big city centre. The difference in Rio is that the pickpocket can often be a bit violent: one of them pushing you forward in the bus or to the ground in the street while another one takes your wallet and runs away. It's not that usual or as bad as it sounds, but try to avoid being in real danger by reacting strongly as these guys often operate in armed groups (2-5 people), some unnoticed by you. On weekends, beaches in Rio are watched by helicopters.
In the area around Copacabana beach (and maybe in the city centre), the tourist should be aware of a shoe shining scam. The tourist will be approached by a shoeshiner and to his astonishment discover a large, dirty blot on his shoes (which is actually shoe polish or mustard but looks like quite something else). The tourist is typically shown to a chair and has his shoes or sandals cleaned in the best manner. Only after this service is rendered, the outrageous price of somewhere around R$1000 or more is revealed. At this point, muscular friends of the shoeshiner typically appear to "oversee" the completion of the transaction.
The subway is fairly safe, so it is recommended to use it if you want to go from one place to another. Although you may be used to taking the handy and good trains in Europe or even in North America to go across many places, you won't need to take a train in Rio. If you do, it can be a fairly nice trip to the suburbs or a chaotic journey to a bad neighborhood in a train where people sell all kinds of weird stuff, where everyone will look at you in a way you will feel you are a alien, about to be mugged. Buses on the South Zone are fairly safe as well, but, in the city centre, they can be quite crowded. Inside a bus, being mugged is always a threat: less so but stil possible in the South and tourist zones. Always remember that Bus 174 movie. It happens so often that they don't even go to the news (only homicides or big cases where the police got involved such as this Bus 174 go to the news). In the subway, it is quite unlikely though, which is one extra point to the subway!
Don't walk around with lots of money in your pocket. ATM's are everywhere (prefer the ones inside shopping centres) and credit/debit cards are widely accepted. But don't walk around without any money: you may need something to give to the bad guys in case you are mugged. Not having money to give a mugger can be dangerous as they may get angry and resort to violence. An excellent idea is to buy a "capanga" (literally meaning bodyguard), that is, a small frontal unisex pouch, normally used to carry your wallet, checks, money and car keys.
Avoid wearing jewelry or other signs of wealth (iPods, fancy cell phones/mobiles, digital cameras, etc.) if possible, at any time of the day, as these attract attention. Thieves have been known to run past targets and tear off necklaces, rings, and earrings without stopping. Earrings are particularly dangerous as tearing them off often harms the owner.
There are around 700 favelas in the city and most of them can potentially be unsafe in Rio: and there is always one near you (by a couple of miles or just a few yards). These are easily recognized by their expansive brick walls, and are often on a hillside. The slums grew from being impoverished neighborhoods but are now large areas ruled by drug lords. If you want to keep your nice vision of Rio, you don't need to go there. However, some favelas are amazingly huge, and a new experience for some -- there are some travel agencies who take people on tours there. If you want to go, pay one of those agencies. NEVER go to a favela by yourself, or with an unknown guide. The tour operators have "safe-conduct pacts" with the local drug dealers. If you don't have one, you'll be in BIG trouble. You'll most likely be approached by the drug baron's guards and asked what you are doing there (and these guys typically don't speak English). If you don't have a good reason (and you probably don't), the consequences could be dire. Don't count on the police to help you, as they don't like to enter the favela either, except in special circumstances, though most likely they will check if you are carrying any drugs upon leaving the favela.
In Brazil, every state has two police forces: the Civil (Polícia Civil) and Military (Polícia Militar). Only the latter wear uniform (in Rio, it is navy blue). The city of Rio also has an unarmed Civil Guard, dressed in khaki. Policemen can usually be trusted, but corruption in Brazil is still rampant and a few officers may try to extort you or demanding a little bribe. When this happens, it is usually very subtle, and the officer may typically say something about "some for the beer" (cervejinha). If you are not willing, refuse and ask for another officer. Don't ever try to bribe a policeman on your own--most of them are honest and you might end up in jail.
The local emergency dial number is 190.
At night, especially after traffic has died down, you may hear what sounds like fireworks and explosions. This is not as menacing as it sounds, though it is still indicative of somebody up to no good. These are often firecrackers set-off as signals in the favelas. It might mean that a drug shipment has arrived and is in-transit or that the police are making a raid into the favela. It is a signal to gang operatives who act as lookouts and surrogate police to be extra-vigilant. However, real shoot-outs may occur, especially on weekends. If you are on the street and you hear a shooting, find shelter in the nearest shop or restaurant.
For your safety, cross at the crosswalks, not closer to the corner, and watch for cars regardless of traffic lights.
Carjacking can be a threat too, especially if you are outside the tourist areas and after dark. It is perfectly acceptable (even if not exactly legal) not to stop in the traffic lights if there is nobody else on the street and you feel it's okay to go (if there are no other cars). You will see even police doing this. Some major motorways such as Linha Amarela (Yellow Line: connects the west zone(Barra da Tijuca) to the north zone - may be your way to Norte Shopping for example) and Linha Vermelha (Red Line - the main connection from the International Airport) are strongly avoided late at night. Both motorways are surrounded by favelas so carjacking is usual and shoot-outs may occur between rival drug lords or between drug lords and the police. If you rent a car, be aware of all these issues. As a tourist, it may be better not to rent one anyway, as if you get lost and go to a bad neighbourhood (and again, there will always be one near you), you will most likely be in trouble.
If you want to go to a traditional escola de samba (samba school), Mangueira is a good place. This is close to a favela, so you should go with a guide accordingly. If you do have a trustful Brazilian friend that can take you, that's excellent. Ask the friend to take you to Maracanã as well to watch a football (soccer) match! Yet exercise great caution if you go by yourself especially if two of the local Rio teams are playing (Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo, and Vasco). These matches can be very exciting but also very dangerous especially if between Flamengo and Botafogo or Vasco. If it looks like the team for which the fans around you are cheering is losing, it is wise to leave the stadium before the match ends. You don't want to be in the middle of a very angry bunch of football fans when they all cram out of the stadium.
- History about Help Discoteca in Rio
- Brazil, São Paulo, Fortaleza, Manaus, Recife, Natal, Belo Horizonte, Porto Alegre, Salvador
- Argentina, Buenos Aires
- Uruguay, Montevideo, Punta del Este
- Bolivia, La Paz
- Colombia, Medellín, Bogotá, Cartagena, Barranquilla
- Venezuela, Caracas, Maracaibo
- Chile, Santiago de Chile
- Peru, Lima, Cuzco
- Age of consent in Brazil
- Prostitution across the Americas, Termas
- Portugese Sex Phrasebook
- Prostitution, Street prostitution, Global prostitution prices
- Sex topics & Phrasebooks, Sex worker, Prostitute types
- Red-light district, List of red-light districts all over the world
- Brothel, Escort agency, Call girl, Erotic massage, Strip club
- Sex tourism, Sex industry, Countries with most prostitutes
- Sex vocabulary & Abbreviations, Humorous sexual terms
- Gay, Lesbian, Gay and lesbian travel, Bisexuality, Ladyboy
- Age of consent, Stay safe, Scams, Safe sex, STD, HIV/AIDS
- The gender of Brazilian transgendered prostitutes (article)