Vienna Sex Guide (Wien Sex Guide) advises where to find sex, working girls, prostitution, street hookers, brothels, red-light districts, prostitutes, erotic massage parlors, strip clubs and escorts in Vienna, Austria.
- 1 Sex Scene and Prostitution
- 2 Vienna Female Escorts
- 3 Red Light Districts
- 4 Prostitutes and Sex Workers
- 5 Street Hookers
- 6 Live Sex Cams
- 7 Adult Locations
- 8 Escort Services and Agencies
- 9 Erotic Massage Parlors
- 10 Strip Clubs and Striptease
- 11 Brothels and Sex Clubs
- 12 Karaoke and KTVs
- 13 Swinger Clubs
- 14 Sex Shops and Adult Stores
- 15 Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
- 16 Nightclubs and Bars
- 17 Gay and Lesbian
- 18 Other Adult Services
- 19 Dating
- 20 Transsexuals and Shemales
- 21 Sexual Services for Women
- 22 Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
- 23 Stay Safe
- 24 See Also
Sex Scene and Prostitution
Prostitution in Austria is legal and regulated. This is an example of regulated prostitution. Prostitution is legal but restricted by several regulations. Around 90 percent of all sex workers in Austria are migrants, mainly from the former Eastern Bloc countries.
Sex workers operating legally in Austria were, according to the police mostly from the European Union: They come from Romania (29 percent), Hungary (25 percent), Bulgaria (15 percent), Slovakia (eight percent) or the Czech Republic (six percent). The proportion of Austrians is four percent. From non-EU countries, most sex workers were from Nigeria. In Vienna the figures are almost the same; 38 percent of the registered prostitutes in Vienna came from Romania, 26 percent from Hungary, and 10 percent from Bulgaria.
Unlike in German and Dutch cities, most Austrian towns don’t have Red-light districts. Of course the number of the sex workers is highest in the capital, Vienna, but there is significant existence of prostitutes in other cities too. Thanks to the legality of the sexual services, more and more girls come to the country to work in the nightlife.
See also: Vienna Escorts
Vienna Female Escorts
Vienna has a good selection of escorts.
Red Light Districts
You can find several bars and shops in the Red-light district "Gürtel" in Vienna. Many neon signs say: "erotic", "live show", "open".
The hookers in Mariahilferstrasse to Technisches Museum want to have 50€ for blowjob and fucking and night time there is lots of whores. The negro and the uglier white ones want 30€ for blowjob and fucking in a near by park. The other ones will take you to a small Red-light district hotel, room price of 10€ is included in your 50€ they want from you. The whores in Felberstrasse, same street-level, just on the other side of the railroad tracks, also want 50€ for sex and sucking your dick. Linzerstrasse, it is the Felberstrasse continued to the outskirts, girls want to have 40-50€ for intercourse and sucking your cock. The white whores do not usually negotiate, but you can bargain with Latino and African ones. In Linzerstrasse hookers will fuck as cheap as 30€.
If you like window shopping, there are Laufhaus brothels in Vienna, where one can walk up and down in the building and browse prostitutes.
- Popular Laufhaus Brothels in Vienna are: Kontakthof, Erlaaerstrasse 37, Eros Center, Juchgasse 11 & Laufhaus Rachel, Triesterstrasse 176.
Prostitutes and Sex Workers
As of 2008, there were 1800 girls and a little over 20 male prostitutes registered as prostitutes with the city of Vienna, which means that they attend regular health checks and legal monitoring. However, police estimates give a number of 5,000 girls who are thought to work as hookers in total – the 3,000 to 6000-odd non-legal hookers working mostly on the street without a permission. Street prostitution in generally illegal in Austria, so by going to a brothel, clients could avoid ending up with an unchecked, illegal sex worker. Often, this does not happen for financial reason – street hookers are cheaper. In 2003, the oldest sex worker was a 71-year-old Austrian lady, who offered her service in the second district of Vienna, the so-called Leopoldstad.
Street prostitution in Vienna is generally legal, but limited to certain streets outside of residential areas. :Up to 150 prostitutes work on the streets of Vienna. The street prostitution in Vienna is dominated by women from Eastern Europe. In 2009, the city of Vienna announced plans to approach the problem of illegal sex workers. Issues arose mainly around hookers that work on streets, whereas those who make contact with potential clients in bars might still be illegal, but at least less of a problem for people who live in the area. The city of Vienna named five "hot spots" of streets in Vienna where hookers can be found particularly easily: Linzer Straße in the 14th district, Hütteldorfer Straße and the outer Mariahilferstraße with side-lanes in the 15th district (all three can be found not far from Westbahnhof station); but also the Struwerviertel area (known for drug addicted hookers) and the Prater area (known for African women, usually asylum seekers). The latter two areas are in the second district and the "low cost option" when it comes to hookers in Vienna.
Now there are only two locations left to legally work on the street: the Brunner street in Liesing (west) and the Autokaderstraße in Florisdorf (north), both desolate industrial areas on the outer fringes of the city without access to bathrooms or hotels, where women are standing on the side of the street waiting for customers to drive by.
Price on the street in Vienna is around 30€ for sex. Street girls are much more dirtier than the prostitutes who work in Brothels, because street whores do not have a place to clean up between sex sessions example.
Currently the city council of Vienna is considering installing "mini-hotels" or "drive-in brothels" in outer boroughs of the city to improve working conditions for street prostitutes.
The facilities were first installed in Zürich over a year ago as an experimental measure by the municipality to make street prostitution safer and easier for prostitutes. Customers enter so-called "Sex boxes" by car and remain parked in the wooden, carport-like structures for the duration of the service. There are alarm buttons for safety, toilets, and showers.
Live Sex Cams
Can I watch Live Cams in Vienna? - Yes, you can! Basically you can watch our online live sex shows for free anywhere in the world if you’re connected to internet. Join to get 10 free private teasers and 9.99 credits for free! You can choose any girl from our trusted Live Sex Cams!
Live Sex Cams are booming at the moment. Webcam models can be found from all over the world and you can find girls, guys, trannies, couples and groups of different ages performing to you. Watching live sex shows is usually free, but if you buy some credits, you will have much better chances to see adult action as desired! It's possible also to hire a webcam model to a private chat room where you can ask the person to fulfill your fantasies.
There are many different type of adult entertainment places in Vienna, but the most "local" thing are the kabinensex brothels where you can get a quick blow job or sex. Laufhaus brothels are also affordable and you can get sex at these places for 50 to 100€.
Escort Services and Agencies
Erotic Massage Parlors
If you like to relax and receive an Erotic massage. In Austria, there are Asian Massage Parlors, where you often pay first for the massage and when the massage is coming to end, you will be asked if you want a Happy Ending. Most of the time one hour massage at the Asian Massage Salons cost around 50-100€ and Happy Ending will cost around 20-100€, depending if you choose a hand-job or a sexual intercourse. Then there are also Massage Brothels, where you have to decide what you want, before receiving the massage. These places usually have a menu with options listed, such as "1 hour massage and hand job" for 100€.
Strip Clubs and Striptease
Some of the Vienna nude bars also operate as a brothels. These places can be also called as a Gentlemen´s Clubs or Kontaktbars. Here is a list of the clubs in Vienna, where you can find striptease or prostitutes. Often the Strip clubs are also called Nightclubs in Vienna.
Table Dance Bars in the ‘90s
Since brothels were illegal in the late 90s, the table dance bars seemed like the best option. By taking advantage of the Schlüsselkraft loophole, dancing agencies started hiring dancers as “people with a key skill”.
This meant that all the best girls could have the option of only dancing and stripping and make a lot of money without having sex with the clients. Dominant clubs have risen through this occasion, like Beverly Hills Girls Club. This “empire” used to own four Table Dance Bars: Beverly Hills, Big Apple, Starclub and Rush Hour; one restaurant: Schwimmende Pyramide and a disco nightclub: Celentano.
The good days of the Table Dance Bars have long been gone, brothels taking the lead in Vienna’s sex nightlife. Beverly Hills, once a great empire in Vienna's nightlife, is now left with only a dying club. They struggled in 2014, with closing and opening moments throughout the year.
Brothels and Sex Clubs
Brothels in Austria are often located in studio apartments. After entering the whore house, the customer gets to choose a girl from a various of naked or sexy dressed ladies presented and then gets to go to the room with her. Usually there is a shower in the room, so you can clean before and after. Often there is 1 to 10 girls working in a Austrian bordello. Brothels offer more privacy than the Sex clubs. Sex clubs are also popular in Austria likewise they are common in Germany. Some of the Sex Clubs have a wellness areas that include a swimming pool, saunas, solarium, whirlpool or other things. Entrance fee is usually around 30 to 60€ and this price includes often soften drinks and alcohol. Half hour with the sex club girls cost often 50 to 100€.
There are Kontaktbars where prostitutes hang out hoping to pick up customers. Some Kontaktbars are just normal bars where you just happen to see many sex workers, with or without the owner's consent, but you often also get "normal" people besides (it can be quite amusing and/or instructive to settle down with a drink and watch discretely).
A Laufhaus is a place where sex workers rent a room where they can serve clients. Usually prostitutes can arrange their working schedule and decide the pricing themself, but sometimes the schedules and prices are decided by the brothel owner. The clients walk through the corridors of the house (hence the name: Laufhaus/Walk House) to see and negotiate with the prostitutes. Some Laufhäuser have entrance fee, but often the entrance is free.
Karaoke and KTVs
KTVs (hostess karaoke bars with beautiful female staff) are popular in some parts of Asia but you cannot find any of them from Vienna.
Into swinger clubs you go usually together with a girl and you can find there somebody who is willing to change partners. On certain days also accessible for single guys, but with higher entrance fee (60 -100€) and with no guarantee to find there somebody. And if, these are usually not the cutest women. The walls to the rooms in swinger clubs have holes so that the guests can watch the couples inside.
Sex Shops and Adult Stores
If you don’t feel like visiting or cannot find any local sex shops in Vienna, you can easily order adult products from Online Sex Shop.
There are many nice adult shops in Vienna. Some sex arcades have many gay clients, so make sure you are open minded when visiting these venues. Viagra can be only purchased from the pharmacies with a prescription.
Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
Love hotels are popular in some parts of Asia, especially in Japan. There are also many love motels and short-time hotels in South America. Unfortunately you cannot find any real love hotels in Vienna.
Nightclubs and Bars
There are many nice nightclubs and bars in Vienna where you can try your luck to find sex for free.
Gay and Lesbian
Gay modeling in internet is getting more popular all the time and it's a big market alongside with gay porn. You can watch gay live sex also in Vienna as long as you are connected to internet.
Check it out: Gay Live Sex Video Chat
Not too many European cities have such a rich gay history as Vienna. Gay emperors, generals or composers of days gone by and all the gays and lesbians of today convert Vienna into a unique tourism destination.
Homosexual male prostitution was legalized in 1989 - under paragraph § 210 of the penal code (Strafgesetzbuch). A major reason for legalization was to reduce the spread of HIV through regular medical examinations. In 2014 there were 70 registered male prostitutes in Vienna.
The center of today’s gay scene in Vienna (Wien) is the "Rosa Lila Villa" where gay tourists and locals can obtain information and advice on orientation-related issues. The lion’s share of gay saunas, bathhouses, clubs, parties, sex kinos, indoor cruising clubs, cafes and bars is situated near the Villa, in the district along Linke Wienzeile and Rechte Wienzeile.
Annual gay highlights in Vienna are the Regenbogenball and Rosenball during winter, the Vienna Bear Congress in spring, the world-renowned charity event Live Ball in May, the Queer Film Festival identities in June, the Rainbow Parade (Vienna Gay Pride) in July, and Wien in Schwarz (Vienna in Black) in October.
Gay Cafes, Pubs & Bars
Viennese coffee culture and the relaxed, kicked-back atmosphere (in German called “Gemütlichkeit”) are well known. You have to indulge and enjoy. The gay and lesbian cafés and bars combine great Viennese charm with queer lifestyle.
- Café Rifugio, Schönbrunner Straße 10 [U: Kettenbrückengasse]
- A daytime bar. Open 10:00 – 22:00. +43 (0)699-10977891 (mobile); www.cafe-rifugio.at
- Café-Bar Cheri, Franzensgasse 2 [U4: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Very small and basic gay bar. Mainly locals guys. Open 18:00 – 04:00. +43 (0)664-1162338 (mobile); www.cafe-cheri.at
- Club Stiefel, Fünfhausgasse 11 [U: Gumpendorferstraße]
- Mon-Sat 21:00 – 05:00/07:00 +43 (0)660-6308208 (mobile); www.clubstiefel.at
- Felixx, Gumpendorfer Straße 5 [U: Museumsquartier]
- Gay cocktail lounge bar with a street terrace at summer. Open 18:00 – 02:00. +43 (0)1 9204714; www.felixx-bar.at
- Goldener Spiegel (TEMPORARY CLOSED) , Linke Wienzeile 46 (entrance via Stiegengasse) [U: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Big gay pub with old-fashion design and very explicit wall decoration. Kitchen (traditional local dishes) open till 22:30, Friday and Saturday till 23:30. Mixed ages. +43 (0)1 5866608; www.goldenerspiegel.at
- Gugg, Heumühlgasse 14 [U: Kettenbrückengasse]
- CEntre of Austria's gay and lesbian association HOSI Wien. Cafe-Bar: Tue 18:00 – 22:00; Fri, Sat 18:00 – 01:00; Sun 18:00 – 22:00 (in summer Fri only till 22:00, Sun closed). +43 (0)1 2166604; www.hosiwien.at
- Inside Bar, Schikanedergasse 12 [U4: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Tiny gay bar near Naschmarkt. Mixed age crowd. Mon-Sat 21:00 – 04:00. +43 (0)676-9093590 (mobile); www.insidebar.net
- Mango Bar, Laimgrubengasse 3 [U4: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Well-known small gay bar, clientele mainly 20 to 30 years old. Open daily 21:00 – 04:00. +43 (0)1-9204714; Website
- Red Carpet, Magdalenenstraße 2 [U: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Café-bar for lesbians, gays and friends. Mostly young people. Open Mon-Sat 21:00 – 04:00. Snacks available. +43 (0)676-7822966 (mobile); www.redcarpet.co.at
- Rüdiger, Rüdigergasse 14 [U: Pilgramgasse, Kettenbrückengasse]
- Cozy Gay hustler bar. AYOR. Open: 20:00 – 03:00
- Village, Stiegengasse 8 [U: Kettenbrückengasse]
- Music bar, popular with a young guys. Open daily 20:00 – 03:00
- Wiener Freiheit, Schönbrunner Straße 25 [U: Kettenbrückengasse, Pilgramgasse]
- On the ground floor there is a – rather old-design – bar, in the basement a disco-club (minimum consumption 5 €). Fri, Sat 21:00 – 04:00. +43 (0)1 9139111; www.wienerfreiheit.at
- X Bar, Raimundhof (between Mariahilfer Straße 45 and Windmühlgasse 20) [U: Neubaugasse]
- Small gay cafe-bar in the passageway Raimundhof at Vienna's famious shopping street Mariahilfer Straße. Open Mon-Sat 16:00 – 02:00; Sun (in winter) 18:00 – 24:00. +43 (0)1 9744759; www.x-bar.at
- Wiscot Gay Center, Lerchenfelder Gürtel 45 [U: Josefstädter Straße]
- Daily 12:00 – 24:00; Thu, Sat till 03:00. Gay cinema, a bit far off the city center.
Gay Outdoor Cruising & Glory Holes
- Donauinsel, Vienna
- Parking Floridsdorfer Bridge, Danube Island. On the wooden bridge and into the toilet cruisy toilet facility.
- Naturist beach North (FKK Gelände Nord), Jedleseer Bridge, 1220 Vienna
- Danube Island / Pumucklbrücke (Jedleseer bridge), especially in the summer.
- City Hall Park (Rathauspark), Rathausstraße 17, 1010 Wien
- Especially on the side of the Parliament very well attended, year round. After sunset to sunrise.
- Swiss Garden (Schweizer Garten), 1010 Vienna
- In addition to the South Station, year round.
- Türkenschanzpark, Hasenauerstraße, 1180 Wien
- During the day, after the lock entry only possible over the fence
- Venediger Au, Prater , 1010 Wien
- In addition to the Ferris wheel at the Prater.
- Toilet U3 Zieglergasse, Ziegelergasse 38, 1070 Wien
- In the toilet the subway station Zieglergasse gays take for cruising.
- Wertheimstein Park, Bauernfeldgasse, 1190 Wien
- Wertheimstein Park in the 19th district, corner Döblinger Str. and Barawitzkagasse! Fail mostly on the restroom facility Döblinger Str. In addition, lower parking area by the lake is very popular along the wall.
- Wienerberg, 1100 Wien
- Vienna Picks - Nudist hills and cruising area in the reed field next door. During the day, on the northwest shore of the Viennese mountain pond. Access Parking Triesterstraße / Hertha Firnberg road.
Other Adult Services
Kontaktbar is a place where prostitutes hang out hoping to pick up customers. Some Kontaktbars are just normal bars where you just happen to see many sex workers, with or without the owner's consent, but you often also get "normal" people besides (it can be quite amusing and/or instructive to settle down with a drink and watch discretely).
Peep shows are also very popular in Vienna. You can find these places under "Strip Clubs" sections.
- Laufhaus Juchgasse, Juchgasse 11 1030 Wien
- Laufhaus-Rachel, 1230 Wien, Triesterstrasse 176
- Laufhaus Vienna, 1100 Wien, Triesterstrasse 41-43
- Kontakt-Zentrum, Süßenbrunner Straße 7 1220 Wien
- Kontakthof, 1230 Wien, Erlaaerstrasse 37
- Laufhaus ICI Paris, 1220 Wien, Wagramer Straße 242
- Laufhaus House4Love, 22. Süßenbrunnerstraße 7
The basic form of BDSM (Bondage & Discipline/ Dominance & Submission/ Sado-Masochism) is all about the erotic and sexual acts and mind-sets of dominating and relinquishing control.
In the past few years BDSM has got a pretty bad reputation, but the basic principles can be extremely liberating and in the long run if you engage with it, turn you on in a way that you would never even have thought about. The fact that the standard media representation of BDSM is of something seedy and weird and sometimes make it feel like a taboo.
But if girl take the reins it can actually increase their sexual confidence and sense of agency, while giving men a break from having to be 'on top', psychologically as well as literally which is the standard dynamic for most lovers. The trick is to have an open mind to sexuality, obviously anything which causes harm to your loved one or yourself is not good, but we're all humans and exploring the parts that make us a little different is what can make a hugely beneficial relationship.
BDSM Services in Vienna
- Atelier Prison, Wien
- Weekdays Mon - Fri 8-17. Tel: 01 504 56 13
- Madame Queen, Steiningergasse 42 Wien
- Tel: 0664 303 30 89
- Domina Casandra, Novaragasse 46 1020 Wien
- Open 11-19. Domina and massage services offered. Tel: 01 216 08 29
- Lady Sarah, Breitenfurterstraße 88 1120 Wien
- Tel: 0664 2810857
- Lady Andrea, Brunnengasse 6a 1160 Wien
- Tel: 0676 360 80 15
- Lustsklavin Michelle, Herbststrasse 35A 1160 Wien
- Tel: 0699 11 63 82 02 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lady Vivienne, Hyrtlgasse 23 1160 Wien
- Tel: 0676 605 54 18
- Bizarrtreff, Neulerchenfelderstrasse 89 1160 Wien
- Tel: 01 489 35 05
- SMart Angels Haslingergasse 13a 1170 Wien
- Tel: +43 (0)664 324 70 83
- Madame Sanders, Kreuzgasse 1180 Wien
- Tel: 0664 4906530
- Victoria, Othmargasse 16 1200 Wien
- Tel: 0676 530 94 31
- Lady Bizarr, Pragerstrasse 114 121 Wien
- Tel: 0664 560 5885
- Funny House, Pragerstrasse 114 1210 Wien
- Tel: 01 278 14 31
Dating in Vienna can be a bit tricky due to cultural differences, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before your trip so you can meet a few locals ahead of time. AdultFriendFinder.com, for example, lets you meet local members in Vienna and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. Take advantage of features like live chat rooms and member webcams so you know who you are chatting with before arranging a face-to-face meeting. Since time in your destination may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand so when you do meet, you can skip the awkward introductions and start having some real fun.
Transsexuals and Shemales
Thousands of trannies all around the world are making their living by acting as a webcam model. You can watch transsexual live sex shows also in Vienna as long as you have internet connection.
Check it out: Tranny Live Sex Video Chat
Many of the Shemale Escorts working in Vienna, come from South European and South American countries. Half-hour sex usually costs around 100-150€ and 1 hour sex cost 150-200€. Most of the transexuals are versatile, but make sure you tell ahead what you want incase she is "top only" and you are looking for a "bottom" tranny.
Where to find T-girls in Vienna
- Studio Passion, Handelskai 208, 1020 Wien (Near: Mexikoplatz – U1 Vorgartenstrasse)
- http://www.studio-passion.at/ Monday to Thursday from 10.00 - 24.00, Friday and Saturday 10.00 - 03.00.
- TS Lucia, Handelskai 208, 1020 - Vienna
- Curvy surprise in the studio Passion. Phone: +43 688/968 42 41
- TS Valery, Handelskai 208, 1020 - Vienna
- Brand new - 23 cm real passion in studio in Vienna! Phone: +43 688/64 69 39 22
- Diana Shemale, Phone: 06764922915
- Ladyboy, Phone: 0699 10 60 84 24
- Trans Woman Sabrina , Phone: 0664 104 73 532
- TS PALOMA, Phone: 06649288563
- Melissa, Phone: 0676 4922915
- Savannah Trans, Ramperstorffergasse 28, 1050 Vienna, Telephone: 0676 718 1509
- XL Patricia, Gfrornergasse 13 1060 Vienna, Phone: 0676 49 51 566
- Trans Babs 1100, Vienna, Phone: 0664 5814364
- Trans girl Tanja, 1120 Vienna, Phone: 0699 81467090
- Lea, Herbststrasse 25a 1160 Vienna, Telephone: 0699 11 740 962
- TS Lara, Seeböckgasse 23 1160 Vienna, Phone: 0664 36 88 467 E-mail: contact @ ts-lara.com
- Mercy Trans, Causeway 24B 1200 Vienna, Phone: 0676 4157935
- La Luna 121a, Klosterneuburger Street 121a 1200 Vienna
- Hinge, Paschinger Strasse 33 4060 Vienna, Phone: 0676 742 00 05
Sexual Services for Women
Male prostitution is not so common in Vienna as in 2014 there were only 70 male prostitutes in Vienna and most of them serve gay men instead of women.
Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
Vienna offers a complete range of hotels. Prices are relatively higher than in neighboring countries, or in the neighboring countryside, but quality is also often better.
In choosing an accommodation it is important to know which part of the city you want to spend time in. Most accommodations claim to be centrally located, which for the Viennese would mean they should be in or next to the 1st District, few actually are. Many are even outside the core districts 2-9. Still, all of them are located within about a 5-minute walk to an underground or at least a rail or tram station, you can get to the center within 20 minutes or less on public transportation form anywhere in the city.
A quick reminder about addresses and districts: the number preceding the street name is the district. So 9., Badgasse 26 is Badgasse #26 in the 9th district. These can also be made into a postal code by substituting it the XX: A-1XX0 Vienna (0X for districts below 10), for instance A-1090 Vienna for the 9th district.
Smoking rooms are relatively common. Non-smoking rooms are in limited supply, and hotels with non-smoking floors are less common. Senstive non-smokers may be bothered that public areas of the hotel (often the hallway outside your room) are often heavy with tobacco smoke.
See also: Global list of girl friendly hotels
Vienna is potentially one of the safest cities in the world for its size. There are no slums or districts you should avoid. In general, you can visit any part of the city at any time of the day without taking many risks — just use your common sense. At night, though, it is wise to avoid parks. The drug scene at Karlsplatz (underneath the Opera) hangs out there during the day, but they do not care at all about tourists. Just ignore them and they will ignore you. The Prater (fair grounds/amusement park area) is said by some locals to be less safe at night, though more in reference to pickpockets than anything else. As in any major city, watch out for pickpockets who grab and run when boarding the U-Bahn (['u?ba?n] subway). Petty crimes (like jackets 'going missing') are more common and normally go unreported and won't get much sympathy. There have been a very few racist assaults in Vienna (even some by the police themselves). Many streets and public-transport facilities are littered with racist and nazi graffiti. One runs the risk of being pickpocketed. Schwedenplatz, along the Ring, is sleazy in the evenings, but basically harmless; the Stadtpark, along the Ring, to the East, is a bit deserted at night and therefore best avoided.
Prostitution is legal, even on the street, and is common around the area of the Prater. Ironically, some of the areas are stones thrown from the UNODC Headquarters (the UN agency responsible for combating human trafficking) and are human trafficking hubs for all of Europe. Many of these prostitutes are not registered and a high number are known to be trafficked, so take care if seeking their services. It is safer for everyone involved to visit a brothel. Women dressed in a certain manner walking around these areas alone at night might feel uncomfortable being checked-out in a certain way but there is no real danger. (There is no male street-prostitution to speak of in Vienna.)
Austria has one of the highest rates of missing people (per-capital) in the Western world. It is similar to that of the USA despite Austria's small size and the fact that everyone is required to register their address with the state.
Fraud and scam
Recently, there have been some reports of fraud around Karlsplatz and the Ring. The usual scenario is that someone will stop you and ask for directions. A couple of other guys show up claiming to be police, showing a badge (must be fake). They ask if you were getting drugs from the other guy and then will ask for your passport and wallet for verification. When you are busy trying to convince them that your passport is valid, one of them sneaks out some money from your wallet. Best to tell them that you want to go to the police station — there is one at Karlsplatz U-Bahnstation. It's a minor annoyance, but it's better to be careful. In a different case of fraud they try to convince you that your money is counterfeit money and that they have to inspect it. As always use common sense: police are taught to approach you in a very distinctive way (you will notice if they do so), the badge must have Polizei ([?p?l?'?a??] police) and the Austrian coat of arms and/or the Austrian flag located somewhere on it, and they will be willing to bring you to the police station or a properly uniformed officer.
- Worst scammers in Vienna
- Bars and Clubs with Taxi Scams
- The misleading Vienna Escort Cartel
- Escort websites with fake photos
Do not walk on the bike lanes and cross them like you would cross any other road. Some bike lanes are hard to recognize (e.g. on the "Ring" in Vienna) and some cyclists bike rather fast. Walking on bike lines is not only considered impolite but it is illegal and you run the danger of getting hit.
If you see people gambling on the streets (usually in popular tourists' destinations like Stephenplatz or Mariahilferstrasse), stay away! The modus operandi usually involves a guy playing the classic game of "hiding the ball". This involves covering the ball (or small trinket) with either a bottle cap or a match box and swirling it around with two other bottle caps asking people to guess the position of the ball. The game is set in a way that you can easily see the ball's position. This is done to lure the unsuspecting person into placing a wager. There are usually two main players and, between them, they will lose and win money back and forth to give the appearance that it is a fair game - do not be tricked! They are from the same gang. Once you get greedy and get lured in, you will surely lose your money! The person in control of the bottle caps will remove the ball from their position through sleight of hand and you will never see your money back. Besides the two or three other players involved, there are usually at least two lookouts - one on each side of 'stage'. Vienna has plenty of legal casinos if you care to try your luck.
In addition, it is common for suspicious persons to approach you in the city centers if you are standing still for a while (particularly if eating at outdoor tables). They will be holding magazines for sale, and will ask you if you are interested in looking at one for free. They are typically very aggressive in their demeanor. Do not be fooled by them! It is not free. If you look at the magazine for free, they will refuse to take the magazine back and demand payment for it at a high cost (typically 2 euros, which is the price of local homeless' magazines in Austria like "Augustin", but they are in German anyways and it indeed has become a trend amongst non-related people to abuse the idea). The best response in this situation is, when they first approach, to simply wave your hands demonstratively to say no while shaking your head and repeat the phrase "Nein danke" ([na??n 'da?k?] no thank you) to them repeatedly until they leave. If police are nearby, these people may accuse you of stealing the magazine, but many police know of their trickery so stand your ground. However, the best response in all cases is simply to dismiss these beggars by saying "Nein danke" and refusing to take the magazine. They will often look for tourists or people who look as though they are visiting hoping to make a sale; therefore, be prepared to tell them "Nein danke" as necessary so that they will leave you alone. They are not violent and just trying to get money from you, so do not be afraid that they will hurt you if you tell them no.
- Bratislava, Prague
- Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic
- Prostitution and law in Europe
- Prostitution, Prostitution Prices, Street prostitution
- Sex topics & Phrasebooks, Sex worker, Prostitute types
- Red-light district, List of red-light districts all over the world
- Brothel, Escort agency, Call girl, Erotic massage, Strip club
- Sex tourism, Sex industry, Countries with most prostitutes
- Sex vocabulary & Abbreviations, Humorous sexual terms
- Gay and lesbian travel, Gay, Lesbian, Shemale, Ladyboy
- Age of consent, Sexually transmitted disease, HIV/AIDS