Prague Sex Guide advises where to find sex, working girls, prostitution, street hookers, brothels, red-light districts, sex shops, prostitutes, erotic massage parlors, strip clubs and escorts in Prague, Czech Republic.
Prague is the capital city and largest city of the Czech Republic. It is one of the largest cities of Central Europe and has served as the capital of the historic region of Bohemia for centuries.
- 1 Sex and Prostitution in Prague
- 2 Prague Female Escorts
- 3 Red Light Districts
- 4 Prostitutes and Sex Workers
- 5 Street Hookers
- 6 Live Sex Cams
- 7 Adult Locations
- 8 Escort Services and Agencies
- 9 Erotic Massage Parlors
- 10 Brothels and Sex Clubs
- 11 Strip Clubs and Striptease
- 12 Karaoke and KTVs
- 13 Swinger Clubs and BDSM
- 14 Sex Shops and Adult Stores
- 15 Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
- 16 Nightclubs and Bars
- 17 Gay and Lesbian
- 18 Other Adult Services
- 19 Dating
- 20 Transsexuals and Shemales
- 21 Sexual Services for Women
- 22 Male Escorts
- 23 Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
- 24 Stay Safe
- 25 See Also
Sex and Prostitution in Prague
Prostitution in the Czech Republic is legal, but organized prostitution (brothels, prostitution rings, pimping, etc.) is prohibited. The enforcement of these laws, however, can be lax. Ever since the Czechoslovakian Velvet Revolution (1989) led to the creation of the two independent states Czech Republic and Slovakia, prostitution has been flourishing and has contributed its share to the region's booming tourist economy. It is widespread in Prague and areas near the Republic's western borders with Germany and Austria.
Prague is a great place for mongering and this city has amazing selection of different kind of services such as brothels. Being new in town is never easy. Every brothel you see, you don’t know if it’s a tourist trap or a gold mine. Prague has both. Some brothels are totally rip-offs and some whorehouses are one of the best ones in the world.
Nobody really gives a damn about prostitution in the Czech Republic. As long as there isn't other crimes involved, like drugs or violence, and as long as you aren't shameless about it, like disturbing your neighbors.
Price for prostitute in Prague for 30 minutes of sex in a private apartment is around 800 to 1500 CZK, while some women ask for less, such as 700 CZK. An hour costs 1300 to 1500 CZK, and two hours above 3000 CZK. Most prostitutes charge around 5000-8000 CZK for a whole night.
Prague is slowly becoming more and more known all over the world as a "New Amsterdam". Both things ("sex and drugs") which are tolerated in Amsterdam are also common in Prague. Prague is very popular party capital mostly for British guys, who will come there to host stag parties or just have a weekend get away party. Most of the time many of the guys from the bachelor party groups end up having sex with a prostitute and sometimes a prostitute is even included in the stag party packages which many companies sell to the tourists.
See also: Prague Escorts
Prague Female Escorts
You can find a great variety of escorts in Prague.
Information About Escorts
There are almost 200 escort websites for prostitution services in the Czech Republic, up from 45 in 1997, which enable sex tourists to book their travel and appointments to buy sex acts before they leave home. Prague has the world's first online brothel, Big Sister, where customers get free sex with the sex acts being broadcast on the internet.
Escort services are more expensive. These are services where the whore arrives at a destination selected by the customer. The price also depends on the distance; usually it is between 1500 and 3000 CZK per hour of sex.
Red Light Districts
Prague’s red-light district is less specifically marked than other cities, but it’s known for being based in the side streets around Wenceslas Square, one of the major tourist attractions here. You’ll find plenty of strip bars and late night bars, normally with special offers on drinks.
There are two well known Laufhaus brothels in Prague. A Laufhaus is a place where sex workers rent a room where they can serve clients. Usually prostitutes can arrange their working schedule and decide the pricing theirselves, but sometimes the schedules and prices are decided by the brothel owner. The clients walk through the corridors of the house (hence the name: Laufhaus/Walk House) to see and negotiate with the prostitutes. Some Laufhäuser have entrance fee, but often the entrance is free.
Red-light areas in Prague could be defined as areas with brothels or other sexual activities.
- Show Park Prague
- If you buy your entrance ticket on internet, it costs only 99 Koruna, at the door it is a little bit more. Once you find a girl you like in the Show Park, you can spend erotic moments in their cozy brothel rooms. Club advertises that it is largest adult entertainment complex in all of Europe with two facilities with a total of 81 rooms. The usual price in ShowPark is 1000 czk ($US45 or 35€) for 30 minutes (including covered BJ and classic sex, one orgasm per 30 minutes session) but each girl is free to charge what she wants so some girls may try to charge more to newbies or tourists. Some girls sell extra services as well (Bareback blow job, french kissing and anal sex in example). Anyway you have to ask clearly for time & services to avoid problems. Some girls try to charge 1000 czk for only 20 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes, some other girls try to charge 1000 czk for 30 minutes but BJ only OR sex only instead of the usual BJ + sex.
- ShowPark Market is open for you everyday from 12:00pm to 6:00 am. You may go and visit rooms of some of the many beautiful girls at any time during opening hours. Holešovická tržnice – hall 18, Bubenské nábřeží 306/13, Prague 7 – Holešovice
- ShowPark DaVinci, Na bojišti 28, Prague 2 – Vinohrady
Prostitutes and Sex Workers
Prostitution is widespread in Prague and areas near the Czech Republic's western borders with Germany and Austria. In 2002, the Czech Statistical Bureau estimated the trade to be worth six billion crowns ($217 million) a year. Current estimates indicate there are 10,000 to 25,000 prostitutes in the country. In Prague, the city's third district (Praha 3), immediately east of the center, is home to much of the city's sex industry.
Prague's prostitutes are working in different type of places. Most common prostitutes' working places are brothels, massage parlors, streets and internet as escorts.
There are lots of porn stars working also as prostitutes in Prague. Many world famous porn stars come from Czech Republic. Expect to pay several hundred euros for two hours if you decide to order a real porn star to your hotel room. All night will probably cost you thousands of euros. But if you're wealthy, Prague is one of the best cities in the world having sex with a real porn star!
In the street of Prague, the sex prices are lower and the price to have sex with a street prostitute is around 1000 CZK and oral sex cost around 500 CZK, but price may even be much lower – depending on the situation of the girl, how far she wants to go, and how badly she needs the money. Yet street prostitution is on the decrease in Prague as it gradually moves to apartments, brothels and clubs.
You can find streetwalkers in Prague from these areas:
- There is some street action taking place at the town hall square during the nightime.
- Another area frequented by street hookers are the streets around the square/park Karlovo Namesti.
- Park between the Muzeum A metro and Muzeum Railway stops. Mostly drug users and Roma gypsy sex workers.
- In the area around Narodnia and the pedestrian street Rijna (leading toward Vaclawske) you can usually spot street walkers.
- Odboru street.
- Myslikova street.
- The streets and alleys connected to the Wenceslas Square (Václavske Námestí ) are the places to find some streetwalkers in Prague by night. It's not that common anymore to see streetwalkers here as it used to be 20 years ago. But still some street action can be found. But especially in Wenceslas Square you also need to be very careful because there are so many scammers and pickpocketing happening. Hookers may approach you and grab your nuts and same time the other whore could steal your wallet or cellphone. From the statue to the railway station, dealers, beggars, prostitutes, and pickpockets are allowed to be there because they pay the police," "In the lower half of Wenceslas Square, the police don't want money; they are always changing and they can not be paid off. So the upper half profits from sex business and the lower half fights against it.
Live Sex Cams
Can I watch Live Sex Cams in Prague? - Yes, you can! Basically you can watch our online live sex shows for free anywhere in the world if you’re connected to internet. Join to get 10 free private teasers and 9.99 credits for free! You can choose any girl from our trusted Live Sex Cams!
Live Sex Cams are booming at the moment. Webcam models can be found from all over the world and you can find girls, guys, trannies, couples and groups of different ages performing to you. Watching live sex shows is usually free, but if you buy some credits, you will have much better chances to see adult action as desired! It's possible also to hire a webcam model to a private chat room where you can ask the person to fulfill your fantasies.
Prague is a great place to find adult action.
Escort Services and Agencies
There are several escort agencies in Prague.
Most of the escort agencies in Prague will send you any girl on hand, unless you are paying above the odds for a porn star or high-end model. Agencies are a bit too random until you are a regular and they learn your preferences. The other option is incalls at 'Privats', but these are a bit difficult to navigate unless you speak Czech or Russian language.
If you want to meet euro porn stars, Prague is an amazing good place for that.
Erotic Massage Parlors
Most erotic massage parlors in Prague have quite professional staff (often 2 to 5 masseuse girls). Some of the massage girls in Prague can be stunning hot, but often the least prettiest masseuse girls will give the best massage. Price depends on what kind of massage you want and special type of massages always cost a little more. If the girl is topless during the massage, petting is sometimes allowed and sex can be negotiated, but it is not always possible. Price for one hour sensual massage which includes a Hand Job is 1.000 to 2000,- CZK (40 to 80 EUR). Some of the massage salons in Prague offer different type of Happy Ending massages like Tantric Massage, Nuru Massage and Lingam Massage. More extreme things like Prostate Massage and SM Massage often cost around 500 to 1.000,- CZK (20 to 40 EUR) more.
In the Prague center there are larger companies with tens of employees. These tantra salons are mainly for foreigners.
In Prague 1-5 alone, there are around 50 massage parlors where you can get extra services.
Most good quality erotic massage parlors in Prague have a great variety of different kind of massage services, such as:
- Erotic massage
- Nuru massage
- Lingam massage
- Yoni massage
- Prostate massage
- Tantric massage
- Oil massage
- Sex therapy
- Body 2 Body massage
- Sensual massage
- Soapy massage
- Massage with happy ending
- Four hands massage
- Foot massage
- Chinese massage
- Chocolate massage
- Dynamic massage
- Thai massage
- Energetic massage
- Holistic massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Relaxation massage
- Sports massage
- Swedish massage
- Sex massage
- Back / shoulder massage
- Outcall massage to your hotel
Massage and Body Rubs
Brothels and Sex Clubs
Czech Republic brothels are usually called night clubs or gentlemen's clubs. You sit down in a luxurious interior, chat to the ladies that will solicit for drinks and negotiate your favourite sex services. After this you will follow the lady to a private room where she will provide full service or whatever you desire and charge a set price for it. The brothel whores happen to keep part of your payment and a commission on drinks as a salary for their services as Prague whores. Normally they will not ask for an additional tip, as this is not a common practice in Czech Republic.
There are also few laufhaus bordellos in Prague. At these premises you walk around the corridors where sex workers are standing on the doorways and you can directly negotiate with them there and have sex with them right away if you like. These places are not as luxurious and are more designed for people who just want a quick relief. But they are also a little bit cheaper than luxury brothels, where most girls do not even sell short time sex session (20 minutes) as girls sell at laufhauses.
Some of the brothels accept also credit card but they will most probably get a surcharge for that. It's better to pay everything with cash.
Strip Clubs and Striptease
Beware of some strip clubs in Prague. Strip clubs worldwide are always the most notorious locations for scam artists. The nude bar industry is a haven for low-life, fly-by-night scumbag criminal club owners, managers, and strippers. Rule for life: Never trust what a stripper or workers tell you in Prague. Always ask what each drink costs before ordering, are there different prices for welcome drinks, try to pay ahead and not in to a tab.
There are still some honest nude bars in Prague who are not trying to rip you off, but they are very hard to find. Often the entrance fee to the Prague strip bars is around 100 to 300 Kcs. The strip joints around the Wenceslas Square that try to get you in by "promises" are the places which are known to run scams.
Karaoke and KTVs
KTVs are popular in different parts of Asia but you cannot find these venues in Prague.
Swinger Clubs and BDSM
ALT.com is the best place for local singles, swingers, and couples in the BDSM community to connect with those interested in submissive sex, power exchange, locating persons for new slave roles, erotic BDSM, bondage & fetish sex, as well as live sex dates. Find thousands of play partners for whatever your fetish may be; bondage, foot, cockold, spankings, role-play, electric or water play, sadism and masochism. So whether you have the desire to explore your unrealized fetish fantasies, or you are extremely experienced and would love to train someone new, ALT.com is a community designed for people with like-minded interests to find and connect with each other.
Swingers Clubs are slowly becoming more popular in Prague. All of the open minded couples or people who like to have sex in a group do not visit these premises. Sometimes the gang-bang and other sex parties are held in a private apartments or closed clubs. These venues and groups can be hard to find, but if you manage to get into a one, it can be hard to leave Prague.
Sex Shops and Adult Stores
If you don’t feel like visiting or cannot find any local sex shops in Prague, you can easily order adult products from Online Sex Shop.
You can find many sex shops in Prague selling porn movies, lingeries, sex toys, lubricants etc. Some sex shops have also peep shows inside and sometimes glory holes mostly for gay guests.
Love Hotels and Short Time Hotels
Nightclubs and Bars
There are hundreds of normal nightclubs in Prague where you can find regular local girls. It's very possible to find sex for free in Prague if you are not old and ugly.
Brothels in Prague are often also called nightclubs, so make sure if you're asking locals that which kind of club you really want to go. If you're searching for a normal nightclub where you can dance and drink, you should probably ask for a "disco".
Gay and Lesbian
Finding women can be challenging no matter what city you are in. While in Prague you can take advantage of FemmeFinder.com, the largest online lesbian dating site. Helping thousands of women connect with other women, FemmeFinder.com can connect you with sexy members in Prague to share in your travel experience. It’s one of the most trusted places to find your next romantic partner during your travels.
Gay modeling in internet is getting more popular all the time and it's a big market alongside with gay porn. You can watch gay live sex also in Prague as long as you are connected to internet. Check it out: Gay Live Sex Video Chat
Homosexuality in the Czech Republic is legal. The minimum age of consent is 15 and there are no laws concerning tourists with HIV/AIDS. The number of HIV/AIDS sufferers in the Czech Republic is low. In keeping with the mood of increasing tolerance the Czech parliament approved a law allowing gay partnerships back in 2006.
The Czech Republic is quite liberal and gay-friendly destination today and the Prague gay scene, mainly centred around the Vinohrady area (near the city centre), is particularly vibrant and accessible. There are around 30 venues such as gay clubs, bars, sex clubs and saunas in the city as a whole with new establishments opening all the time.
This guide to the gay scene features most of the gay clubs, discos, bars, parties and indoor gay cruising venues in Prague. You should be clear that in some gay cruising and sex clubs the young Czech boys you meet will be interested only in your money and nothing else. But in many of the other clubs and parties it is possible to meet and get to know normal Czech guys. Prostitution and the promotion of it is legal in the Czech Republic as long the prostitute is at least 18 years old.
The Lesbian scene is limited to just a few bars and clubs.
- Prague's main train station is the first thing many tourists see when they reach the city, but it's also one of the city's best-known sites for a particular kind of sex tourism. The prostitutes who have worked here say this is where foreign men come to find the young male sex workers known here as rent boys.
- Back in the 1980s and 1990s. the main station was a thriving place for male prostitution and people use to had sex in the staircases. There was also a balcony in the station where people used to have sex, and others just used the park nearby. Nowadays, the park is more popular for homeless people and some very desperate sex workers.
- For up-scale male escorts, it is recommended to visit Escape Club (Jame 8, Stapenska) or Club Temple (Seifertova 32/3) in Prague. Both of these venues are packed with sexy hot Czech boys looking for customers with money. These rent boys are willing to try your deepest and dirties fantasies. You can see more information about these gigolo clubs from below.
Gay Saunas and Bathhouses
There are few very nice gay saunas in Prague. You can find locals and tourists from these venues.
Gay Cruising Areas, Glory Holes and Parks
- Park Letna, Prague - Like in most parks, it's hit and miss. Some days are extremely busy. Others are not. Wander into the bushes with someone and see what happens.
- Seberak Lake, Prague - This is a nude beach with some cruising. There are places you can go to get it on. It's hit and miss. Sometimes can be extremely hot, others can be not.
- Czech TV Park, Prague - This is a secluded park near the Czech TV complex. The parts overlooking the city and river are fenced, but you can find places where the fence is missing or cut. Walk around and you can get lucky.
- Petin Park, Prague - Guys will be cruising the paved walkways and the restroom in the park. There are plenty of remote bushes where you can have fun.
Other Adult Services
There are many BDSM venues in Prague, but most are designed for gay crowd. For straight people there are only few clubs, but luckily there are many domina escorts working in Prague. Usually the dominatrix services cost a little more than regular sex services, around 50 percent more.
Dating in Prague can be a bit tricky due to cultural differences, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before your trip so you can meet a few locals ahead of time. AdultFriendFinder.com lets you meet local members in Prague and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. Since your time in Prague may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand, so that when you meet you can start having some real fun.
Transsexuals and Shemales
Finding someone for transsexual dating when you’re on the road can be a bit tricky, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before you go so you can find locals ahead of time. TSdates.com is a dating site designed to help you find exactly what you are looking for in your hookup in Prague. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting. With over 40 million members, and thousands of transsexual members around the world, TSdates.com is the world’s largest site of sex-minded friends for discreet encounters and will help you find your next transsexual play partner.
Thousands of trannies all around the world are making their living by acting as a webcam model. You can watch transsexual live sex shows also in Prague as long as you have internet connection. Check it out: Tranny Live Sex Video Chat
For a ladyboy lovers, Prague is not an ideal sex tourism destination. There are only few high-end shemale escorts working in Prague. Most of the TG/TS/TV/ and CD prostitutes in Prague advertise only online and you can not really find any t-girl hookers working on the street. Price to have sex with a tranny escort in Prague is about 1000 to 2500 CZK (40 to 100 Euro). If you like to spot transgender crowd in public, you should visit the Friends gay club which is located in Bartolomejska 11 (Jilska). This club is frequently visited by cross dressers and t-girls.
Transgirl escorts in Prague:
- Alexia, 00420 776 294 921
- Andrea, 00420 774 573 943
- Madame Monica, 00420 774 538093
Sexual Services for Women
It should not be hard for women to get laid in Prague. There are plenty of nightclubs where you can find tourists and local people partying, but Czech women are very tall and beautiful so you will have a lot of competition. There are also many male escorts advertising online and prices are usually very cheap for western standards.
Sleeping and Girl Friendly Hotels
Prague has a wealth of accommodation options, many of them within walking distance of the town centre. Peak season generally runs from April to October and a major influx of visitors can be expected during New Year as well. Prices for accommodation can be up to twice as high in the peak season and reservations are advised. Otherwise, the main train station, Hlavní nádraží, has an accommodation booking service for hotels and hostels upstairs. Normally, tax and breakfast are included in the room rate.
Around Hlavni Nadrazi, the main train station, there are many touts offering cheap accommodation. Many are Czech residents renting part of their apartment for extra cash. Prices don't vary much between them, but some may not be trustworthy so be cautious.
Even during peak season, dorm rooms in hostels close to the city center can be had for around 350CZK per person per night. Prague has its share of rough and ready youth hostels with a party vibe, but there are many with a more relaxed atmosphere and some housed in beautifully restored buildings as fancy as any hotel. Many hostels also offer private rooms, with or without shared bathrooms, for much cheaper than a pension or hotel room. There is a boutique design hostel movement with many hostels rivaling hotel accommodations.
For those looking for something a little different, a 'botel' (boat hotel) may be an appealing option. Usually relatively well placed, with gorgeous views. Most are moored on the south of the river in Praha 4 and 5, but the best is to stay in Prague 1, next to monuments to visit by foot, in the Lesser Town district (Mala Strana) or in the Old Town (Stare Mesto). Prices vary from €20 to €120 per person.
Girl Friendly Hotels
It is not a big hassle to find girl friendly hotels in Prague.
- In the prestigious Ambassador located at the famous Wenceslas Square it is usually not a problem to bring guests for the night.
- Esplanade and Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, both close to Wenceslas Square.
- K+K Hotel Fenix on Ve Smečkách street 30.
- Good value for money offers the cheap prized charming Hotel Prague City on Stitneho street 13 situated in a quiet part of the city centre and only 10 minutes walking from the Old Town.
- Another girl friendly hotel is Hotel Central on Rybná street 8. This 3 stars hotel has indeed a very central and convenient location since it is situated just in the historical heart of Prague’s Old Town, on walking distance from the Old Town Square. Opposite you can find the fashionable night club Buddha Bar where a fine selection of local and guest DJs spin their records every evening.
- Crowne Plaza Prague, this 4 star hotel on Koulova 15 has a girl-friendly reputation.
- Hilton Prague, this prestigious often awarded hotel (Pobrezni 1) allows bringing in female guests for the night as well.
- Hotel Cerny Slon, comfortable 4 star hotel, situated right in the middle of the historic heart of Prague, near the Old Town Square. The hotel is part of the UNESCO heritage list and its history dates back to the 14 century.
- Corinthia Hotel Prague, upscale and stylish 5 star hotel near the Prague Congress Centre and within a very short distance from the capital's centre
See also: Global list of girl friendly hotels
The most common crimes in Prague by far are car theft and pickpocketing: the prevalence of car theft and vandalism pushes up the crime statistics of Prague. But even if you do not drive, pickpocketing is common in Prague, and some violent crimes do occur in this city. You are seriously warned not to provoke drunken people as it will put you in extreme danger.
Begging is a serious problem in this city and you can even see beggars in this city's top tourist attractions. Don't carry a wallet or purse in the back pocket of your trousers; always keep an eye on your items; don't put all your money in one place; don't show your money or valuable things to anybody; don't walk alone into deserted areas even if you feel able to protect yourself. Better safe than sorry; so take precautions.
Possession of drugs has historically been a grey area under the Czech jurisdiction. Since early 2010, though, the dubious term "an amount less than small" has been finally transformed into absolute values based on the actual judicial practice and it is no longer an offense to carry less than 15 g of marijuana, 5 patches of LSD, 1 g of cocaine, etc. It is still a criminal offense to posses more than the allowed amount of drugs. Bear in mind that for possession of lesser amounts you might be still fined by public authorities as it is an offence (though not criminal one). Please also note that most bars will expect you to go outside if you intend to smoke a joint.
Be aware of teams of pickpockets that lurk outside metro stations, overcrowded trams, Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square and the Old Town Square. They usually work in teams of 3-5 and look for lost or distracted tourists. Backpacks are especially interesting to them. Many of those groups use underage youngsters as pickpockets because they are not liable according to Czech criminal law.
Due to the low incidence of violent crime, the threat of pickpockets has been played up as a great problem. However, common sense and basic precautions can keep most people safe from pickpockets. If you have a camera, try not to wear it openly. Always close and secure your backpack and try to keep an eye on it. Be especially careful not to fall asleep in tram or metro. Wear your wallet in a safe place (like inner pocket of your coat), never put it into your rear pocket or any other place where it can be easily stolen.
Be astute on sleeper trains, as bag robberies are on the increase between major stations. Ask for ID from anyone who asks to take your ticket or passport, and lock backpacks to the luggage racks. Keep valuables on you and maintain common sense.
If you enter the metro (usually at night), you may find a team of con artists at the stations, saying that they are metro clerks and, after examining your ticket for some time, that it's invalid so you'll have to pay a fine of 500 CZK (1000 CZK if you argue with them). So if you happen to see them and you're sure that your ticket is valid, tell them to call the police, or call them yourself. Remember that Prague Metro ticket inspectors have to produce their badge in order to check your ticket and issue a fine; if they don't do this as soon as they approach you then, they are almost certainly fakes.
Be careful with taxi drivers, particularly from the train station. Taxis that are legally registered may still be mafia-run affairs that do their best to overcharge. It is illegal for a taxi driver to refuse you a receipt in Prague, so agree to a price before putting yourself or your luggage in the taxi. The risk of overcharging is greatly overplayed but just take the usual sensible precautions of only using taxi firms affiliated with the station or your hotel, or call a reputable company and wait. Finally, if presented with a wrong bill from a taxi driver, call the police on your mobile phone. Your driver will quickly change his tune. You can of course always ask reception,a restaurant etc. to call taxi on the number you give them.
If you can't afford to haggle with cab drivers, you can always use public mass transit. The network is extensive and can take you almost anywhere in Prague 24 hours every day.
Be careful with money exchanges. Exchange your money in banks or official tourist informations and rather avoid exchange offices. Never deal with a street money-dealer: they offer better rates but frequently try to swindle you by giving you money from another country, such as Russian rubles or old Bulgarian leva.
Generally the exchange offices outside the tourist areas are fair, although there are not too many of them there. In the tourist areas, however, most of the exchange offices try to cheat customers with various tricks. One of the them is offering favourable exchange rates, but with fine print below such as if you exchange more than 1000 EUR. Another trick is putting a huge board with "we sell" exchange rates to the shop window, which makes an impression of good rates, whereas the actual rate for buying CZK is much more unfavourable. Another trick is charging commission, which could be as high as 20%!
When comparing the exchange rates, follow two simple rules. First unless the board says "0% commission", the exchange office charges the commission. Second, while looking at the board, scan all the numbers for your currency and find the smallest one, this would be the exchange rate you would get.
When the customer finds this out at the counter and wants to cancel the transaction, the money-dealer refuses with an excuse "I have already printed the bill", implying it is too late. The police won't help you, typically referring you to the Czech National Bank, which supervises exchange offices, to file a complaint (which does not help you either).
Credit cards are widely accepted at all supermarkets, hotels and also in most tourist places. As in most countries you can find cards for ATM withdrawals with low or 0% fee and often for payment with Visa or Mastercard exchange rate only (which is same as the rates of the best exchange offices); there is no need to use exchange offices anymore in the 21st century.
Czech law is weak and orders exchange offices only to display the actual rates, which you might find somewhere in the office in small print. Therefore, if you decide to use an exchange office always ask for the actual rate you will pay before making the transaction and before letting any money out of your hands.
If you find yourself in an emergency, dial 158 for police, 155 for ambulance or 150 for firefighters. You can also dial 112 for a general emergency call.
If you need medication at weekends or evenings, you can go to Lékárna Palackého, (Tel +420 224 946 982) the 24-hour pharmacy on Palackého 5 in the new town.
Beware of food stalls in Wencelas Square. Some of them will target tourists by providing them with extra products they did not ask for and not giving enough change.
Especially for American women from large cities, Prague is surprisingly safe and quiet in the evenings. Use common sense, but walking though neighborhoods late at night is not something you need to be terrified about. The bars are full, but violent crimes are comparatively uncommon.
- Czech Republic
- Germany, Munich,Dresden
- Austria, Vienna
- Age of consent in Czech Republic
- Czech Sex Phrasebook
- Prostitution, Street prostitution, Global prostitution prices
- Sex topics & Phrasebooks, Sex worker, Prostitute types
- Red-light district, List of red-light districts all over the world
- Brothel, Escort agency, Call girl, Erotic massage, Strip club
- Sex tourism, Sex industry, Countries with most prostitutes
- Sex vocabulary & Abbreviations, Humorous sexual terms
- Gay, Lesbian, Gay and lesbian travel, Bisexuality, Ladyboy
- Age of consent, Stay safe, Scams, Safe sex, STD, HIV/AIDS